Airbag light on... can I pass inspection in MA

tomtbone

TDI
none
Airbag light on... can someone in MA help me reset it?

My inspection expired in January on my 01 Golf TDI and my airbag light is on and needs to get cleared.

Does anyone in Mass know if I can pass the inspection in the airbag light on? I know they don't do an emissions test.

Can someone nearby in MA with the new Vag-Com help me reset it?

Last edited:

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
No. It's safety related. Before emissions, we called it a "safety inspection". Still applies.

tomtbone

TDI
none
Hmm.. that stinks. Is there anyone in/around Mass that has the new Ross-Tech connector and the new Vag-Com software? I don't want to have to go to the dealer for such a trivial thing as resetting my airbag light. I don't know how much it would cost to do that.

I believe it just came on because I was replacing a fuse.

tomtbone

TDI
none
dieseldorf said:
tbone, can you remove the bulb?
....but I still won't have any Air bag functionality though. but this might be a good quick fix for inspection. I am so used to my Volvo...how easy is it to get the bulb out behind the cluster? is there a write-up?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Not on an Mk4 car, it's a soldered LED. Can't find someone local with a vag-com and see why it's on?

-Jason

tomtbone

TDI
none
compu_85 said:
Not on an Mk4 car, it's a soldered LED. Can't find someone local with a vag-com and see why it's on?

-Jason
I am trying to find someone local with the new connector but haven't been successful. Hopefully some can see this thread and help me out. :) I never go to the dealer, I do all work myself. If I had a laptop, I would by a Vagcom, but I don't have one.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
tomtbone said:
I am trying to find someone local with the new connector but haven't been successful. Hopefully some can see this thread and help me out. :) I never go to the dealer, I do all work myself. If I had a laptop, I would by a Vagcom, but I don't have one.

What do you mean "new connector"??

I've got VAG-COM.... but only come to Franklin a few times a year.

If you buy the VAG-COM... you can borrow ANY friends laptop and download the software at www.ross-tech.com then use your cable. A GREAT convenience change they did a while back.

tomtbone

TDI
none
concours said:
What do you mean "new connector"??

I've got VAG-COM.... but only come to Franklin a few times a year.

If you buy the VAG-COM... you can borrow ANY friends laptop and download the software at www.ross-tech.com then use your cable. A GREAT convenience change they did a while back.
I guess only the newer cables along with the new software will not screw up your airbag module when connecting to it.

I think can get the Key-USB interface for $250, that should work.

SootyYellow

TDI
'99 New Beetle TDI, '00 New Beetle 2.0SC
  1. http://forums.tdiclub.com/The airbag light is on in my vehicle, am I going to fail inspection?

No, airbags are not part of the state inspection. We do, however, recommend that you have your vehicle checked if the airbag light is on. For more information about airbags and airbag safety, CLICK HERE.
  2. http://forums.tdiclub.com/My Anti-lock brake light is on, am I going to fail inspection?

No, anti-lock brakes are not part of the state inspection. If the brake light is on, indicating a failure in the hydraulic braking system, you will be failed. This indicates a serious condition which must be checked immediately. The anti-lock brake light indicates a problem with that specific feature of your braking system. We do, however, suggest you have the brakes checked as soon as possible.
=======================================================
excerpted from http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#3

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
tbone's car is on the road and sporting a contemporary 2008-09 MA inspection sticker :)