Anyone get their docs approved on a totaled TDI?

Pdizuzio

TDI
2012 Jetta
2012 TDI was totaled on 9/17/16 and cannot be made operable. I will still get a VW restitution payment, just wondering if anybody has went through the process and been approved.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
2012 TDI was totaled on 9/17/16 and cannot be made operable. I will still get a VW restitution payment, just wondering if anybody has went through the process and been approved.
No you will not get VW restitution payment. You have to return the car (running) or get it fix to get restitution. This is not up for debate. You are SOL, sorry. You may argue with the Insurance company that it was worth more than blue book. Good luck with that.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
No you will not get VW restitution payment. You have to return the car (running) or get it fix to get restitution. This is not up for debate. You are SOL, sorry. You may argue with the Insurance company that it was worth more than blue book. Good luck with that.
Wrong! From the CAS:

Owners whose Eligible Vehicle was totaled and who consequently transferred title of their vehicle to an insurance company after the Opt-Out Deadline, but before the end of the Claim Period, shall be offered Owner Restitution but not a Buyback.

OP falls in that range.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
At least he showed heart felt empathy for his situation.;)
BUT it may have been more useful -in addition to overflowing with empathy- if he had provided a bit more information:

1. YES, there WAS a window where an owner could not receive compensation if the car was totalled.

2. YES, that date has now passed (I think it was Sept. 16th), and if a Dieselgatemobile has been totalled after that date, the owner CAN collect the compensation amount in addition to the insurance payout.*

3. It may be needless to add, but NO, a totalled car cannot be turned in for buyback.

*NB: I don't know the reasons for this; I assume that it was just an outcome of the negotiations leading up the the CAS settlement.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
3. It may be needless to add, but NO, a totalled car cannot be turned in for buyback.
Depending on the level of it being totaled, the lawyer i spoke with at VW (we were just BSing at that point about the buyback), he even said if someone had a vw and it was mostly body damage, the only requirement is the engine to run into the dealership, so he said even if the engine was borked, he'd say just replace the engine and get it in there for more money so you could claim buyback + insurance payout.