k&n air filter

66 truck

TDI
'06 jetta and new beetle
Has anyone used a k&n air filter in an 06 jetta. I noticed it is alot thinner and does not seal on bottom of air box. It seams there is 2 chambers at the bottom of the air box that the factory filter sits on top of. Does that matter?

chops_555

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6spd manual Build date: 09/08
+1. Lots of threads. The oil off the k&n will gunk up the Mass Airflow Sensor. Also, I think if its not sealing there is a chance non-filtered air could get through, but maybe I am not understanding what you are saying either...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Best air filter available is the OEM filter. K&N filters questionable 1 or 2 HP gain in no way makes up for the possible MAF fouling these filters are known for....................................

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use K&N or anything like it. On any motor. Ever, ever, ever.

It's not just that the oil used on the filter will destroy your MAF. It's also that these filters DO NOT FILTER WELL.

K&N and a whole host of other mods are today's equivalent of the neon-colored windshield wipers people were putting on their cars when I was in high school.

Oiled filters have been shown in testing to be waaaaaaay inferior to paper filters, over and over again.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
MostroDiesel said:
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use K&N or anything like it. On any motor. Ever, ever, ever.

It's not just that the oil used on the filter will destroy your MAF. It's also that these filters DO NOT FILTER WELL.

K&N and a whole host of other mods are today's equivalent of the neon-colored windshield wipers people were putting on their cars when I was in high school.

Oiled filters have been shown in testing to be waaaaaaay inferior to paper filters, over and over again.

But! But! But! A LIFETIME of marketing hype says otherwise!!~!

Haven't you seen the little ping pong ball levitation thingy at the Knecht's, Autozone, NAPA, and Shuck's?!???!!

;)

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
nicklockard said:
But! But! But! A LIFETIME of marketing hype says otherwise!!~!

Haven't you seen the little ping pong ball levitation thingy at the Knecht's, Autozone, NAPA, and Shuck's?!???!!

;)
Shucks, I don't pay attention.

The absolute best Cold Air intake with the best filtration of said AIR is pure Stock VW.
(this also applies to the kiddies that want to "HOP" the Turbo Gassers)

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
SonyAD said:
I don't get why people want to fill their engines with silica for a fabled 2~3 hp gain.
K&N, fart can in the back, "thump...thump....I'm a loser....thump...thump" = drib'en muzzer-pucker. I'ze P@wn all.

bbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...6mph...snick,snick.......bbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...10mph

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So, is this the first K&N/CAI thread started of 2010? Was anyone keeping track last year? I think I lost count at 22.... :rolleyes:

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
TT71 said:
That was more painful to watch the second time around. What possess people to do crap like that.
Oh man... how did I miss this before? That's an awesome Topaz though, that's for sure.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a good thing that kid won't ever get laid, as we do not need his DNA carried on. He'd be better off going back into his parents' basement and fap.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
MostroDiesel said:

What he just said x2.;)

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
At this point the mods should just have a Locked, Stickied thread that simple states" NEVER USE AN K&H Filter and Don't start a thread asking

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
EJS said:
K&N, fart can in the back, "thump...thump....I'm a loser....thump...thump" = drib'en muzzer-pucker. I'ze P@wn all.

bbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...6mph...snick,snick.......bbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...10mph

What he said^^