DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
That's a great write-up on the procedure.

But, does anyone else wonder why VW made it such a pain to change the fluid? That drain/fill hole is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on a new car in a long time.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
not if you think about it - I felt that at first, but after I realized its idiot proof. The average tech can do this and not screw up. If you follow the instructions there can be no overfill. even if you mess up its a bit low but not overfiled.

There is also the pressure - it may be high and a dip stick would not be practicle.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
So has anyone had any luck with the home made tool? I am debating whether or not to make a tool or buy the vas6262. Since I am doing side work I will eventually use it quit often. So the vas 6262 may be the best option. If you are using it just for your own personal car then a home made tool will suffice. I think I may make a tool then later on buy the vas 6262. I like all these special tools but hate the high price.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you buy a spare plug - drill it out - thread or weld a nipple to it. Clear hose 6 ft . You could just use a funnel but I think Auto zone had a cap that screws on oil containers. Now make sure you get a nipple that requies a clamp not the clampless type so you can easily remove it for the drain off.

After you get the 5.5 litres in and reach temp you can just remove your adapted hose/plug and by the time you are ready to put back the drain plug the excess will have run off.

Its really a piece of cake just becareful when you do the filter that your hands are clean and as well around the filter housing so you do not get any dirt in when doing the filter from top.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Nice writeup LF06VWJTDI, just one comment - nothing to do with the DSG!

I was a bit shocked to see that you put a jackstand under the suspension arm. Not that it isn't strong enough - but it is a very dangerous place since the car is still "on the springs" and the arm can move/change angle very easily while working on the car especially when both front wheels are off the ground and there is no definite sideways retention to the vehicle. Even if you left the trolley jack in place it's still not a good habit.

I have had a trolley jack violently slip out of this location on another vehicle. The angle looked safe but once the heavy wheels had been removed the situation deteriorated very quickly and almost dropped the 2-ton SUV in my lap.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
we did not take the wheels off - and we put the rear on blocks. We used the designated jacking point. I have used the rear mounting points and they did shift. The jack is notched and the control arm fit snug. If I was to remove the wheels I would have used the rear contact point and placed the jack stand on the designated rocker point. I have never had anything drop in my lap in 37 years of lifting cars.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I'm planning on buying a set of ramps specifically for this task, and they'll come in handy down the road. Even with the cost of the ramps, I'm still under what any dealer will charge and I like the idea of knowing it was done properly.. (also why I do my own oil)

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I want ramps too jacking them up is easy mounting points not so good. I found some nice ones designed for the clearance. 80$

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
LF06VWJTDI said:
Hey Marauderer, what happened then to your transmission acting up? WJ has had a couple of faults recently.
Uh, my tranny isn't acting up. I just don't like the program it has in any of the modes, but it seems to be working fine.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Yep, would like to know where I can buy a ramp that my Jetta is able to clear. Please provide link.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Marauderer said:
Uh, my tranny isn't acting up. I just don't like the program it has in any of the modes, but it seems to be working fine.
Never mind, sorry. That was TDITimber having trannie problems.

WJ are you gonna give us this link or you've already left for your spaghetti and meatballs rendez-vous? :D

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
The ramps are also available at autozone & meijer. Meijer is the cheapest iirc. I have 2 sets for the dsg service. I haven't actually put the car on all 4 ramps at the same time, but I think it's doable.

JGordon

TDI
Jetta 2006 White DSG 53.75 all time high 43.5-44.5 average
br6ad said:
I have a set of rhino ramp 8000's that I bought at walmart for $30. Here ia a link that shows them. My Jetta goes up them fine without hitting or sliding. They have rubber feet on the underside.

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rhino-Ramp-8000/dp/B000AMMN9O

I bought a set of these and they worked fine for my Jetta and Camry, but they failed to handle the weight of my Cummins. :eek:

br6ad

TDI
cummins

LOL! I have a cummins and I don't think i would trust these ramps either. They do make a 12000lb ramp though! I don't need to raise my truck to get underneathe it though.

JGordon

TDI
Jetta 2006 White DSG 53.75 all time high 43.5-44.5 average
Yeah I can get a 5 gallon bucket under it to drain the oil without ramps to, but I just needed a little more room to get the oil plug off. Needless to say I will probably make a set.

Last edited:

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
I am think of making a tool since the vas6262 is back ordered from my dealer and samstag. I think I will weld in a air chuck quick coupler into the plug and that way it will be easy to disconnect the fill hose.

dany_ro

TDI
Jetta 2006
40K up soon and would need help

Hello!

Great write up and would not mind doing this myself...
I do not have the tool nor the Vag Com do take care of this.

Anyone in the Detroit MI area with the tool that would be ready to give me a hand?
:cool:

br6ad

TDI
$199 in Phoenix area

I just had my DSG fluid and filter changed at Chapman VW in Scottsdale for $199 plus tax which came to $209. I looked on the invoice and everything appears to be correct. The service managers name is Justin and he mentioned that they will be charging $249 from now on out which is still a good price for a dealer! This is only the second car they have done. I would have liked to have done it myself but I would of had to buy or borrow a VAG-COM and an oil filler. Just a heads up to anyone in the Phoenix area:) I'll be back at 80k miles!

Oh and I think I forgot to say that this is one sweet how to!!!!! I do appreciate the time and effort you guys put into this.

Brad

Last edited:

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
Home made tool.

Here is a picture of my home made tool works great for about 25 bucks. The funnel even has a shut off valve and lid. It also is made to work with the 1/2 id clear plastic hose. I bought the funnel @ O'riely's, hose at home depot and air hose quick coupler on the hose end and fittings, plug I bought from dealer. I think I will modify the fitting in the plug to a 3/8" pipe instead of the 1/8" fitting because the 1/8" is a little restrictive since I am using 1/2" tubing. All I had at the time was a 1/8" tap so that is what I used.

Last edited:

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Willing to do a DIY with part numbers (for the parts you got from the dealer) and instructions? I can modify my DIY document to include your steps and of course you'll get the credit for it. Just a thought. :)

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
Diy

LF06VWJTDI said:
Willing to do a DIY with part numbers (for the parts you got from the dealer) and instructions? I can modify my DIY document to include your steps and of course you'll get the credit for it. Just a thought. :)
Sounds great, I will get you more info and part numbers.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
Caps for oil jugs.

wjdell said:
you buy a spare plug - drill it out - thread or weld a nipple to it. Clear hose 6 ft . You could just use a funnel but I think Auto zone had a cap that screws on oil containers. Now make sure you get a nipple that requies a clamp not the clampless type so you can easily remove it for the drain off.

After you get the 5.5 litres in and reach temp you can just remove your adapted hose/plug and by the time you are ready to put back the drain plug the excess will have run off.

Its really a piece of cake just becareful when you do the filter that your hands are clean and as well around the filter housing so you do not get any dirt in when doing the filter from top.
The 1 liter jugs have a larger opening than standard quart containers. I tried that and found this out.