2016 GMC Canyon Diesel Article - Lots of info and pics!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
This truck's weight will be north of 4200 lbs, likely more 4500 lbs. I really do not see 30+ mpg under any reasonable conditions. Price also be quite high. GM is not going to do ANYTHING to hurt sales of the full size, very profitable truck. They will be selling "lifestyle", not high mpg.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I see 30 MPG easily. If the guy wit the V6 Dodge Ram Diesel is getting 26-27 why should a Colorado not hit 30MPG. I don't see this truck hurting Full size sales. at all. That segment is well entrenched. There is HUGE opportunity for this truck in the daily driver truck market. Guys who want the look but are getting killed by the mileage on Silverado/Ram/F150. Pricing needs to be aggressive and NOT high. Within reason but of course the Diesel premium will be high like usual so This truck with a Diesel will not be cheaper than a gasoline Full size. The comparison must lie with a comparable Full size Diesel (only Ram right now) and of course Full size HD trucks 2500/3500 which are much larger and huge dollars. This truck will do very well for the General if it's a nice friver and fells well built. Reviews will tell all. They have to have a winner in this bracket as the Silverado will lose some steam when the new MUCH lighter F150 hits the market.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
If it gets 30MPG and is available with a manual trans, I will probably get one...
I'm not holding my breath though... :(

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Good luck finding a manual as they are loaded with options.
I can handle the loaded with options part, though I am not thrilled about it. It's finding a truck with a manual trans that worries me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There will be no manuals, and most likely no regular cabs or long beds. So what we'll get is 'expensive', or 'really expensive'.

Shame, because the engine itself seems to be a neat setup, but it'll be wrapped in an expensive truck. Of course, Chrysler offers (at least on paper, anyways) a pretty basic Ram with the ECOdiesel. Other than the manditory slushbox, you can get one in base trim... but you probably won't ever find one that way and ordering one is hit or miss since they don't build enough to meet demand. Which makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

They'll be assembling these in my back yard, Wentzville MO. ;) Alongside the G-vans.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Note this new canyon will be the size of the full size trucks from the 90s

Funny how stuff gets bigger with age

kalalp

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
There will be no manuals, and most likely no regular cabs or long beds. So what we'll get is 'expensive', or 'really expensive'.

Shame, because the engine itself seems to be a neat setup, but it'll be wrapped in an expensive truck. Of course, Chrysler offers (at least on paper, anyways) a pretty basic Ram with the ECOdiesel. Other than the manditory slushbox, you can get one in base trim... but you probably won't ever find one that way and ordering one is hit or miss since they don't build enough to meet demand. Which makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

They'll be assembling these in my back yard, Wentzville MO. ;) Alongside the G-vans.
There are Ram 1500 Eco Diesels on the lot right now: regular cab, 8' bed, 6600gvw, 4800 empty 2wd with window stickers of $31k. You can buy this truck for $25k, today. 30+ mpg on the road for a reasonable driver. Add about $4k if you want 4wd.

Sitting on the lot, now. Not "soon". In Los Angeles For instance:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C6JR6DM8EG252535

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cool. There are none around here. They are all snatched up right away. I have not looked again in a couple weeks, though. I'm not in the market for one, I just want to test drive one. I want to talk my dad into unloading his useless Flex and getting one of these instead.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This truck's weight will be north of 4200 lbs, likely more 4500 lbs. I really do not see 30+ mpg under any reasonable conditions. Price also be quite high. GM is not going to do ANYTHING to hurt sales of the full size, very profitable truck. They will be selling "lifestyle", not high mpg.
Since I can get about 22 mpg out of my 4 cyl 07 Canyon at 65 mph, I have no doubt that they can push 30+ out of the diesel. I will look at this once it has at least 6 months of sales.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My 09 Colorado 4 cylinder was gutless. Had a recurrent cel too.
Not bad for running around town but on the highway takes forever to get to 60 and then it wants to take off like a rocket. So to speak. At least with the manual I can down shift when I need the extra boost. Too bad it doesn't have a turbo.

Last edited:

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
In 8th gear it's easy to get 30mpg at the posted speed limit. Wind does make a difference on the mfd. The smaller Colorado should do better.