trailer hitch

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a trailer hitch for my tdi beetle I have had about 4 days now. I don't want to actually tow with it. I just want to mount accessories, like a luggage rack, bike rack, ski rack etc. What have people had luck with?

These are some options I saw while researching.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Volkswagen_Beetle.htm

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-hitches/837070

I am leaning towards the hidden hitch for these reasons.

ball mount included
tongue weight of 200 lbs
trailer weight of 2000 lbs

Now, I don't actually plan on pulling 2000 lbs, but the higher rating may mean this is a stronger product.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I thought there was already a thread on this but I can't find it.

A Beetle came in the shop the other day with a Curt (?) hitch. It bolted to the bumper bolts and about three feet up the middle. I have seen several different hitch types, but not that one. It does seem that it would be well suited for bike racks and the such.

Jason

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.
After calling curt and hidden hitch, hidden hitch says none of their hitches will fit a convertible. I don't think this is actually true, as I bet they have yet to test them. There design looks quite similar to curts who recommended part #11354. I guess since there is limited experience with these hitches I will go ahead and order that part up. I was hoping for the hitch with extra bracing to the rear crossmember/suspension support, but the convertible has two straps that mount to this location.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
I was just looking at the Hitch Cargo Carriers and was thinking this would look interesting on the back of a bug with a cooler on it... It weighs in at 42 lbs... Plus the +/- 38 lbs for the hitch itself... I have a bike hitch rack and was looking for other things I could use a hitch for.

Might make me do wheelies...

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.
I have an antique trunk I would like to repair and mount on a basket similar to that. I will be welding one up with my own dimensions. I am hoping to keep it between the tail lights. It will also have a ski mount built onto it. Much more to come haha

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
I also saw a neat wagon that someone had hitched up. When they got to the soccer tournament they simple pulled a lever and it lowered to the ground. Pretty neat item... Can't find it on the web, so I am thinking it was custom... I wish I had taken a moment to ask them about it.

ReddaJetta

TDI
2011 Jetta
I was just looking at the Hitch Cargo Carriers and was thinking this would look interesting on the back of a bug with a cooler on it... It weighs in at 42 lbs... Plus the +/- 38 lbs for the hitch itself... I have a bike hitch rack and was looking for other things I could use a hitch for.

That's pretty heavy! I'd be worried about it's impact on gas mileage.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI

Screw fuel mileage, I'd be more worried about the stress on the body and hitch. I don't trust most of the Curt and Draw tight hitches that far.

Jason

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.

Easy to install and fits great! This took me approximately one half hour. I plan on mainly using it for skis.

The hitch catches two bolts that run through the subframe. Those two bolts give me the confidence that with my limited use I will not stress the "body".

As far as trusting the hitch. It is the thickest piece of steel now in my car. I have to imagine it will actually stiffen up the body quite a bit.

stembridge

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
Is your Beetle a convertible? I'd like to add a hitch to my TDI convert...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the strength of the hitch (customer came in last week with one), but my pet peeve is how low the hitch is. I hate dragging it on driveways and speed bumps. But it does give me ideas.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.
My tdi is a convertible.

The hitch is really low. I used to be able to back into a curb in a parking lot I frequent and now the hitch hits.

I ordered up a thule helium bike rack and the ski rack that attaches to it. I'll post up when I see how bikes and skis fit.

zsqure

TDI
none
I would like to see a hitch that is hidden and comes out behind the license plate like the Mini Do More hitch for our mini cooper. No problem to move the license plate if you don't have to look at the hitch tube hanging below the body.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking at a hidden hitch, too. But it appears that the lic plate backs up to the reinforcement bar (real bumper). It could be hidden but below the rebar - the choice is vertical mount like the Miata hitch, or cut a door below the lic plate.

A third, more costly/involved, option would be to cut a hole in the rebar to allow the receiver to poke through. And the Blazers/Scout II from the '70s had fold away brackets for their lic plate.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

richcz28

TDI
2013 beetle conv.
I was looking at a hidden hitch, too. But it appears that the lic plate backs up to the reinforcement bar (real bumper). It could be hidden but below the rebar - the choice is vertical mount like the Miata hitch, or cut a door below the lic plate.

A third, more costly/involved, option would be to cut a hole in the rebar to allow the receiver to poke through. And the Blazers/Scout II from the '70s had fold away brackets for their lic plate.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone
Rebar goes in concrete.

You would be looking for a plate holder for a tank with a rear fill. These are not on blazers. Just buy the hitch and save yourself some time, and don't hack up a brand new car.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Rebar goes in concrete.

You would be looking for a plate holder for a tank with a rear fill. These are not on blazers. Just buy the hitch and save yourself some time, and don't hack up a brand new car.
Rebar was just short hand for re-inforcement bar. I have done enough concrete pours to know what that is as well.

No, I don't want one from a car that covers a fuel cap. Those are spring loaded and the spring would be constantly pushing the plate against the hitch or what ever you have attached. The Blazer lic plate holder stays in either position - open or closed.

I agree that I don't want to hack a new car, but the alternative is a hitch that drags almost every driveway. And I have managed to cause structural damage dragging through driveways. I was looking at the valences of SUVs and trucks and it gave me some ideas.

For now the Beetle won't tow. The Golf will handle those duties. But it will probably happen some day.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

rida29r

TDI
2014 Beetle
Just some snaps of how mine turned out. :) 99% of the time I won't hit a driveway with or without bikes...it literally has to be a cliff climb for it to drag.

Last edited:

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
I would hit my curb going into my driveway... I is a bit high... I considered a hitch but I don't like to bottom. Was thinking of maybe raising the bug about 4-6 inches in suspension

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I live on a pretty steep driveway. I'm definitely concerned the hitch will scrape, but I guess I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, a 1" lift should work.

Last edited:

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
wiring the hitch?

my local Curt dealer will not wire my passat with the install of the hitch.he says their is some complications withe the computer in the car.anyone ever heard of such a thing?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
A lot of places have been "burned" by VW wiring in the past. The Uhaul place actually had a TSB to install a fuse in the wires going to the turn signal from the convertor box to keep the convertor box from burning out. It worked for a while but eventually quit again. A powered convertor box fixed that problem, on my Golf.

Lucky thing is the newer VWs are going back to a dumbed down light control and trailer light controlers shouldn't be a big deal. But time will tell.

Jason

Boricua

TDI
2005 Jetta
I just installed mine today as well. No pics yet though, too tired from finally riding my mountain bike. I'll post some tomorrow with the bike rack attached. By the way, when you order your curt hitch make sure the hitch is for your type of car, ie: convertible/ gas turbo or hard top. I mistakenly ordered one for hard top and the difference is big.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
it bottomed out on my driveway last night with 4 people in it. I will probably need to do something to either stiffen or raise the rear a bit.