New Audi A6 Avant debuts with 313hp 3.0 TDI

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
BNW is discovering that is x6 is a flop here. Thoughts perhaps of reintroducing the 5 series wagon perhaps.

Hasn't Volvo announced the end of the wagon?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Something smaller than a 5-series Gran Turismo would be nice. Let's call it a 4-series GT. I'll have mine as an AWD x35d. KTHXBAI.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Somebody snuck one in to America, a B7 anyway. All it took was a buddy at the DMV in NYC. No affiliation on my part, just cross posting from audizine.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/474468-TDI-Avant-at-my-local-meet
If he got it in for under $2000, then it was something under the table. I can't believe any other way.

Be that as it may, if it has a legal title from any state, I believe he can register it in any other. I believe even California will allow a used car that has been registered for a minimum amount of time (6 mo I believe) to be registered even without the required CA emission package.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
My wife loves the car but like many of you She is upset it's not coming here. Okay so she said we're moving to France now! ;0)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
:eek:

Base price?
Scary, no doubt.

BUT FINALLY, a car I'd be willing to sell or trade my Golf Variant to buy.

It is much better looking than most Audis. There is a bling factor on many of the others that is off-putting. This seems to radiate class more than anything (besides power:rolleyes:)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
As usual.

Maybe we should have a separate forum for TDI News for North America, and one for the rest of the world. That way we wouldn't have to be tormented with stuff we can't get.

When we want to get depressed, we can visit the TDI News for outside of North America and see all the wonderful things that we'll never have.
It's always 1er that wags these things in front of us:D

Like waving a steak in front of a caged panther in the zoo:eek:

Break these bars!!!!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If he got it in for under $2000, then it was something under the table. I can't believe any other way.

Be that as it may, if it has a legal title from any state, I believe he can register it in any other. I believe even California will allow a used car that has been registered for a minimum amount of time (6 mo I believe) to be registered even without the required CA emission package.
The problem is, federal law trumps state law in this case.

If it came into the country illegally, Customs and Border Protection can seize it and have it crushed, even after the fact.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The problem is, federal law trumps state law in this case.

If it came into the country illegally, Customs and Border Protection can seize it and have it crushed, even after the fact.
I wouldn't doubt that. They'd just have to catch ya :p

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

bhtooefr

TDI
None
We only get 225 hp on our V6 TDI, due to being choked by emissions equipment. And, the thing would end up costing a lot more due to the cost of that equipment.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
We only get 225 hp on our V6 TDI, due to being choked by emissions equipment. And, the thing would end up costing a lot more due to the cost of that equipment.
Are you sure it would be "a lot more"? The SCR/urea "clean diesel" system is a 925€ option on European-spec A6 3.0 TDIs, it's not available for the 313hp one though. I'd be very surprised if it was different from the US-spec system, maybe the US-spec system needs a little bit reduced power to reach the tougher emissions standard.

The 3.0 TDI quattro "clean diesel" is still cheaper than the front-wheel-drive 4-cylinder hybrid.

Here's the Avant price list:

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, let's look at the Q7...

3.0T Premium is $46,250, 3.0T Premium Plus is $52,550, 3.0T S-line Prestige (more power) is $59,950.

TDI Premium is $51,450, TDI Premium Plus is $57,750, TDI Prestige is $63,950 (less of a premium, but you also don't get S-line).

So, a consistent $5200 premium for the diesel over the 3.0T except in the Prestige trim level (where the diesel gets less, and only has a $4000 premium).

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
The main point is, we won't get it in the US, but it is nice to dream!

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't doubt that. They'd just have to catch ya :p
Google the "big bird skyline", CBP found it and its being crushed.

As long as the powerplant in the vehicle is available in the US (i.e. It meets EPA and emission standards) and the DOT blesses the vehcile for the road - you're good to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

hysterwv

Veteran Member
He says it doesn't currently meet US NOx standards. Appearently, the NOx standards are relaxed for diesel in europe vs petrol. Each type of engine has their own emission standard.