Cigarette 12V not working.

'12TDITweaker

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 2.0 TDI
Hello all,

I could use a little assistance. The 12V cigarette plug in not getting power. Has anyone else run across this issue? I've heard its common because a penny fits perfectly.

The fuse is good. F30 i believe its a 20A fuse that is not blown. I do have a fantastically cheap harbor freight (free gift) multi-meter. I have disassemble the center console by using a micro flat head screwdriver to gently pry up the gear shifter cover followed by removing the two (2) small torx screw to remove the coin tray as well as the 3.5mm audio input.

How can it use the multimeter to test if there is 12v power to the wiring connector? (Do I need a seperate ground?)
How can I test the plug itself to see if it is functional?

Related but not. If there's not fix but to redo the wiring, Does anyone know of a firewall penetration i can easily access to run wiring directly from my battery to a power inverter? (I prefer this option as I would be able to charge my laptop while on the road)
Thanks in advance.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Put the red lead to the center dot inside of the socket and your black lead, to the metal shield on the socket or another ground point.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Also regarding your question and running new wiring, there's a rubber boot/grommet that runs behind the fuse box through the firewall, I would route it through there rather than drill a hole through the firewall. Even easier access, is the boot/grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box. You can access it much easier and it comes out in the engine bay near the abs module. Downside to this is that you have to run a longer wire as the battery is on the driver's side.

'12TDITweaker

TDI
Thank you Sandsman

So I tried every variation on the socket and wiring itself and it appears there is no voltage when the vehicle is on I haven't tried where the fuse is, but im pretty sure theres no current there anyways with the fuse not being blown so cabling the inverter in is the next step. I'll be sure to take pictures for this thread as soon as I get to it.

You rock Sandmansans thank you!

Also regarding your question and running new wiring, there's a rubber boot/grommet that runs behind the fuse box through the firewall, I would route it through there rather than drill a hole through the firewall. Even easier access, is the boot/grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box. You can access it much easier and it comes out in the engine bay near the abs module. Downside to this is that you have to run a longer wire as the battery is on the driver's side.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
No problem man.
Stupid question, but do you chew gum?

The reason why I ask, is that I chew gum and one time I had the same problem you described. It ended up being a wadded up gum wrapper that got stuck in there. It was impossible to see. Worth a look

Also, I'd try putting the leads to the wires that go into the socket, it could be that the actual socket is bad... typically corrosion eats them if any liquid fell there.

Is check there before the fuse box, as that's unlikely unless if you worked under there at some point.

'12TDITweaker

TDI
Nope. I don't chew gum and I inspected. There was no power to the wiring leads.
I wound up using the rubber grommet behind the fuse box to run the wiring for the power inverter.
Never bothered to see if there was power at the fuse.