VW B4V-TDI Turbo Diesel Wagon - Saranac Lake, NY - $3,900 OBO

RogueB4

TDI
'96 B4V Passat Wagon
'96 B4V Passat Wagon - Saranac Lake, NY - $3,900 OBO

(last updated: 11/7/20) YES, THE VEHICLE RUNS
Timing Belt replacement: NOT since I've had ownership (I've put roughly 16k miles on the vehicle).
Cosmetics:
Some minor broken pieces in the plastic trim, discoloration, and sagging headliner, and some scratches, rust on the rear quarter panel (not original since I took ownership), and small dent near taillight on driver-side (visible in the pics). Tape deck no longer works, radio does work.
The body/chassis has 277K miles and engine has 123K miles (replaced in 2005 with a '97 (1Z) engine that had 5K original miles according to records).

Repairs/upgrades:
Suspension (2017)- rear & front HD coils- new Bilstein rear shocks and struts
- all new strut stops, shock stop, strut mount, strut boots[/FONT]
- essentially rebuilt with all new OEM bushings for sway bar and links. New ball joints, etc. Reman CV drive axle (still have old/original if you want to rebuild) - repair done by shop in Ohio while I was traveling (have records).[/FONT]
- new brake pads (Mintex Red Box) and bearing repacked.
- Frost Heater installed (works great in -30 F temps of MT)
- replaced power steering pump (new from IDparts)/bracket/belts, oil cooler gasket.

Known Project List:
Timing belt kit (this fall/winter), replace all IP seals (slight drip on QA lower seal), repair/fix foam in heating blend door, replace shift knob boot.

Most of you know I could go on with this portion of the post but just know this vehicle is not for those who cannot and do not enjoy mechanical work - it can become cost prohibitive very quickly if not willing to do most work yourself. This is not a maintenance free vehicle. That being said, it is a unique vehicle to be own and one that you can learn a lot from if you have the time.

I will include all parts new and old, unopened manufacturer specified fluids (motor oil, brake fluid, coolant) which I’ve used exclusively, an extra set of 4 wheels (running Blizzaks on factory rims currently), and all purchase and maintenance records.

If you have serious inquiries, please message me directly so we can set up a phone call.

There are photos HERE for you to view.

Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Price is significantly over current market, heck it'd still be high for last year's good market year for these. Might have decent luck if you drop it by a couple thou.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where does the Audi name come in? This is a VW. Audi never used this platform.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If you want a quick sale then putting the Passat name in the title would help along with dropping in price and only having the current photos vs ones mixed in from 5 years ago. List just the facts vs a lot of filler talk in the ad to get people to scan through what they are looking for. And most people will take 1000 off the price right off the bat if timing belt is unknown and some will trailer it only until done. Bad day when it breaks on the way home after buying. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Market for a B4V in good condition w/a known maint history this year seems to be $3k or less. It's really fallen.

And blah blah blah's absolutely don't cut it with folks on these forums.

RogueB4

TDI
'96 B4V Passat Wagon
Market for a B4V in good condition w/a known maint history this year seems to be $3k or less. It's really fallen.

And blah blah blah's absolutely don't cut it with folks on these forums.

Thanks MarsBar for your candor and for the insight - yea, I totally misjudged the market. I thought I would at least be able to get out of what I have in it in parts at least. When I bought this in 2014 it seemed like these vehicles were in HIGH demand. Not so much anymore.