Black smoke

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
The last couple of weeks I have noticed black smoke under acceleration, ive owned the car for a few month and just now starting to smoke. The weird part, this only happens when the car is cold. The car is Kermatdi tuned(tuned first wk I got it), and I know black smoke is normal on TDi platform, just wondering if anyone experiences this while car is still not at full op temperature.
Wondering if I have a vacuum leak or something, car seems to perform normally.
Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Black smoke is NOT normal, and should NOT be seen on any diesel with a DPF.

You have something going on.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
I figure something wrong, just not sure what, have no codes (scan w ross tech)

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
Isn’t our DPF due to be replaced at 120k? That could be it?

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
I need to do some more searching, doesnt look like my ash levels are to high from what ive seen.
Ill force a regen tomorrow after work, have 15-20min drive home

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
Our DPFs are scheduled to be checked at 120k, the results of which vpstang has posted, 120ml OilAsh volume is fine. Some people have reported black smoke related to a damaged (not full) DPF, but I've no info to suggest that in this case. Perhaps the Kerma tune isn't compensating enough for the car not being fully warmed up. I would drop a line to the tuner to see if they have heard about this kind of thing before.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
I ran a regen this morning on the way to work, my calculated soot is now 5.2 and measured soot is 0.0, ash is the same.
I will see tonight when I leave work if the car still smokes, I also sent a msg to Kerma
Thanks for all the suggestions, more to come.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Went our for lunch, black smoke under acceleration, usually most noticeable around 2k
Wonder if I have a vacuum leak that seals up once engines at normal op temp

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
I took the car to the dealer, looks like clogged DPF, the dealer ordered parts, find out soon what was replaced.
I did learn the factory warranty for emissions is 126k, im at 123k, cutting it close

Wanted to gjve an update, ill update when I get the car back

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
vito
When you get the car back from the dealer, drive it with the stock tune for a tank of fuel or at least 2 regen cycles to verify proper operation and allow learning adaptations to take effect.
Then contact info@kermatdi.com for an update to your tune please
thanks.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I took the car to the dealer, looks like clogged DPF, the dealer ordered parts, find out soon what was replaced.
I did learn the factory warranty for emissions is 126k, im at 123k, cutting it close

Awsome I love it when dealerships have to honor their warrenty. With your tune I've wondered if the DPF life span will be better or worse. Fresh start.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
vito
When you get the car back from the dealer, drive it with the stock tune for a tank of fuel or at least 2 regen cycles to verify proper operation and allow learning adaptations to take effect.
Then contact info@kermatdi.com for an update to your tune please
thanks.

Thanks for the heads up, im glad I looked on here, was about to reflash the car now, I guess I now need to drive the car extra hard to burn a couple tanks. [emoji1360][emoji1360]

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow close call... glad you didnt wait until warranty expired.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hmmm... I've noticed this on mine recently too. I chalked it up as the DPF needing to warm up, but I supposed they don't operate quite like catalytic converters.

Also KermaTDI tuned. I started noticing it mostly after going on a 6000 mile road trip, only on the road trip, it would smoke going up hills at high elevation under full throttle. Again, at that time, I figured it was just a elevation/load related thing.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Hmmm... I've noticed this on mine recently too. I chalked it up as the DPF needing to warm up, but I supposed they don't operate quite like catalytic converters.

Also KermaTDI tuned. I started noticing it mostly after going on a 6000 mile road trip, only on the road trip, it would smoke going up hills at high elevation under full throttle. Again, at that time, I figured it was just a elevation/load related thing.

How many miles are on your car?
I would flash back to stock tune and see if any lights come on. If you are under 126k, id take to dealer and tell them its smoking, worth the hassle if its truly clogged or now flowing that great

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Around 47k miles, so well within the bounds of the warranty.

I'm new to diesels, so I don't know what to look for with a clogged DPF, but the car doesn't feel at a loss like a clogged cat feels.

The handful of articles that I've read seem to indicate that most DPF clogs occur because of "city driving" or not driving aggressive enough - which is NOT me. This car sees full throttle on a daily basis. Some articles have offered that a clogged EGR will put extra stress on the DPF and can lead to clogging, as well. Hmmm.

I have VAG-COM; are there specific things I can check on my own to confirm before taking it in? I prefer to know things for sure before taking it in. I am admittedly new to VCDS though.

208TDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE

What was your experience like taking it to the dealer after flashing back to stock tune? I recently put a Kerma tune on my '15 Passat TDI and have wondered if something somewhat major like this came up, if they'd flag me TD1 and deny warranty. Did they give you grief at all or question if you'd had a tune on the car?

Obviously I knew full well the risk with this when I put a tune on it, but it's nice to hear an example of a tuned car still getting VW to perform some major warranty work on it.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none

Check your tailpipe if you look inside of it & you can double check with a white piece of paper and swipe the inside of your tail pipe if it sooty & black you have a cracked DPF and clogged EGR filter

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Check your tailpipe if you look inside of it & you can double check with a white piece of paper and swipe the inside of your tail pipe if it sooty & black you have a cracked DPF and clogged EGR filter
I don't need to a piece of paper to confirm. I can see the clouds in my rear and side view mirrors... and my rear bumper on the exhaust side is dirty black... and the tail pipes are noticeably blackened.

It doesn't do it with every punch of the throttle though, so it is rather intermittent. But what has been consistent, is me getting a DTC for EGT's out of range every time the car does a DPF Regen.

I'll be flashing back to stock this week (hopefully today; I just moved, so I need to find my Q Pro +), driving it around for a week or so to see if anything changes, and then taking the car in for it.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I don't need to a piece of paper to confirm. I can see the clouds in my rear and side view mirrors... and my rear bumper on the exhaust side is dirty black... and the tail pipes are noticeably blackened.

It doesn't do it with every punch of the throttle though, so it is rather intermittent. But what has been consistent, is me getting a DTC for EGT's out of range every time the car does a DPF Regen.

I'll be flashing back to stock this week (hopefully today; I just moved, so I need to find my Q Pro +), driving it around for a week or so to see if anything changes, and then taking the car in for it.

Ok
Let us know what the dealership fines

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
What was your experience like taking it to the dealer after flashing back to stock tune? I recently put a Kerma tune on my '15 Passat TDI and have wondered if something somewhat major like this came up, if they'd flag me TD1 and deny warranty. Did they give you grief at all or question if you'd had a tune on the car?

Obviously I knew full well the risk with this when I put a tune on it, but it's nice to hear an example of a tuned car still getting VW to perform some major warranty work on it.

The experience was good, no mention about TD1, not sure if the car ecu was scanned, i just assumed it was. I hope it works out for you, let us know how goes.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Put the stock tune back on the car last night. Drove it to work this morning and got this DTC + a pending DTC:

With them both being EGR related, that points a big red flag. I cleared them and have been driving the car hard, so I'll see what also pops up. Might check the DPF load and force a Regen tomorrow, just to see what it's doing. Interesting, however, that these codes did not present themselves with the Kerma tune.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I wonder if it's a similar catalytic converter issue I had.

Do you still get smoke after going back to the stock tune?