OBDeleven Scanner

Dgravle514

TDI
14' JSW
I have used both VCDS and OBDeleven. The OBD11 definitely has its place, but I would rather fork up the cash for the VCDS just because the support that they offer on their website and the ease of finding diagnostic information. I could go on and on why I like VCDS more, but I just have time to hit the high points. The biggest reason I like the VCDS more is because I can jump on the forum or the rosstech website and find what I need much faster than looking for what I need through OBDeleven. I had to email OBDeleven one time to ask a question and couldn't find a phone number and had to wait 20 hours for a reply. On the other hand, the the OBD11 has its advantages. It is small and operates off your phone so its easy to keep in the car. I don't always have my laptop in my car to run VCDS. OBDeleven extremely intuitive for the simple stuff like service reminder resets, rear brake release, and some of the mods that everyone does (credits may need to be purchased), but where it is lacking is when you get deeper into trying to diagnose an issue it is harder to find the right coding. I am not saying that OBDeleven is bad, but you get what you pay for.

fastboatster

TDI
09 jsw 2.5 gasoline:(
I have used both VCDS and OBDeleven. The OBD11 definitely has its place, but I would rather fork up the cash for the VCDS just because the support that they offer on their website and the ease of finding diagnostic information. I could go on and on why I like VCDS more, but I just have time to hit the high points. The biggest reason I like the VCDS more is because I can jump on the forum or the rosstech website and find what I need much faster than looking for what I need through OBDeleven. I had to email OBDeleven one time to ask a question and couldn't find a phone number and had to wait 20 hours for a reply. On the other hand, the the OBD11 has its advantages. It is small and operates off your phone so its easy to keep in the car. I don't always have my laptop in my car to run VCDS. OBDeleven extremely intuitive for the simple stuff like service reminder resets, rear brake release, and some of the mods that everyone does (credits may need to be purchased), but where it is lacking is when you get deeper into trying to diagnose an issue it is harder to find the right coding. I am not saying that OBDeleven is bad, but you get what you pay for.
I think I can see how VCDS and OBDeleven have slightly different uses. However, OBDEleven doesn't work without an internet connection so that negates it's portability factor when you're stuck in some area with poor cell reception and no WiFi/LTE. I also don't like that you need to buy their dongle, I really would like to use a regular OBD-II scanner. But that's not the point I'm making here. Long story short, I made some quick and dirty iOS app to pull some measurement block values (I really wanted to measure trans fluid temp to change the fluid) and dtcs from my 09 Sportwagen (non-TDI, unfortunately) and decided to share it with everybody (called iOBDScanR). It doesn't need any fancy dongles and probably should work with other pq35 vehicles as well. I've been trying to post a little intro about my car and my app on vwvortex and they just don't approve my thread. Oh well.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Did not realize it has to have an internet connection. This could be bad if your stuck in a bad cell area. I was liking the fact that I could be anywhere. Pull it out of the glove box and take a lot.

At the same time can VCDS work if you don't have a laptop handy?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I use my phone and Torque and a scantool OBDII dongle for easy scanning anytime and monitoring. I also have VCDS and a less than $100 netbook running windows 10 with VCDS on it in the trunk if needed for really detailed stuff and get togethers and such.

fastboatster

TDI
I use my phone and Torque and a scantool OBDII dongle for easy scanning anytime and monitoring. I also have VCDS and a less than $100 netbook running windows 10 with VCDS on it in the trunk if needed for really detailed stuff and get togethers and such.
well, looks like you are well set up)

fastboatster

TDI
Did not realize it has to have an internet connection. This could be bad if your stuck in a bad cell area. I was liking the fact that I could be anywhere. Pull it out of the glove box and take a lot.

At the same time can VCDS work if you don't have a laptop handy?
I guess not) but it's somewhat disappointing that a tool which sort of implies it's portable is actually not quite portable. I think it also doesn't cache any label data on the phone, that's why I couldn't measure timing chain phase adaptation on one A4 I was looking at which was in the area with bad reception. It did fine with the same model car I viewed 2 hours before, but cell reception was good.

fastboatster

TDI
Mostly because I help others in my area who need a scan or programming.
That's very nice of you. Do you help TDI owners only or gasoline engine-powered cars get help too? Shame that there are no b8 TDI A4/A5s in the US, looks like these are the only ones which don't get 30 miles per gallon of oil.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Less tdi's around, VW has a bad name and some don't want to be associated with it. Tools already out there, so you need to come up with something better or something that doesn't already exist or is substantially cheaper. Clue me in on what you are trying to do via PM if you want.

fastboatster

TDI
Less tdi's around, VW has a bad name and some don't want to be associated with it. Tools already out there, so you need to come up with something better or something that doesn't already exist or is substantially cheaper. Clue me in on what you are trying to do via PM if you want.
Sure, I can PM you, but what I'm trying to do is not really a secret, I made an app as a hobby project, it's not better than everything else because I don't have all the official VW info, but a whole lot cheaper, since it's free:) What I'm getting out of this is first off, learning more about VW and Audi cars and second, having fun doing some phone development. That's all there is to it.

fastboatster

TDI
What does the app do though?
Oh, lol, I think I might have not even mentioned what it does - basically, all the vcds /obd11 stuff except for coding and adaptations. Still trying to figure out how to parse the responses with coding info. Adaptation s, on the other hand are straightforward. For now, I'm limited to modules talking VW's kwp2000 over tp2.0 protocol. All the communication occurs via regular elm327 adapters.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That sounds very interesting, fastboatster. Is there hope for an Android version?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Occasionally I want to leave the engine run and be able to lock the doors from outside. Can OBD Eleven program the windows to operate with the key fob so I can get back in? Or can it program the car to be able to unlock with the key fob while running? MK7 here.
I do this with my Powerstroke while refueling or when running into the mini mart for a minute, if I can't see it then I throw a steering wheel club on too. I do not like shutting down a hot diesel with hot oil and a hot turbo just to run in somewhere for a minute, plus I can leave the AC on.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
OK the comfort window function does not work while the engine is running but I was able to activate the key fob to lock and unlock the doors while the engine is running and that is really what I needed anyway.