TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Seems they are quickly going by the wayside. Sad....:(

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I've still got mine. I've started the claims process for a buyback, but haven't uploaded the documents yet.

I plan on taking advantage of the 1042 free miles per month for another 5 or 6 months. I probably won't push it until the very end of the buyback period, but I definitely want to get more benefit out of the buyback by keeping the TDI for a few more months.

Also, I'm thinking that a 2018 Buick Regal or Kia Stinger will be my replacement. Both of those just started arriving at the local dealers in December, so I want to wait until later this year. Maybe look for some end-of-model-year deals.

Reactions: Ton

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Still have my 2000 NB, but it has been relegated to backup duty. Picked up a 2012 X5 diesel, love it.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
We have ‘01 and ‘00 TDI jetta’s Along with an ‘03 engine for swap or spare

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I still DD my '05. Wish it was a manual but hard to justify the cost when the auto still works. I doubt I will buy another tdi when this one returns to the earth. I have a 15 minute back road drive now to work.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I still have mine and have not 100% decided to do buyback on 2010. In the meantime just bought a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL with only 11800 miles on it.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
Still have two out of the three in the family. Amazing, dependable, efficient and still just as tight and solid as new. Tried to buy a new 2015 TDI last year off a dealer post-dieselgate, but went BMW instead.

I'm still a strong diesel proponent, but given the backlash against diesel in Germany off all places I don't think we're likely to see much investment in traditional diesel. We probably saw the high water mark for light auto diesel. The future might see hybrid-diesel or light truck diesel grow, but light auto diesel? I doubt it. Gas improvements are also amazing, we're quite likely to surpass TDI wagon weight, capacity, performance and mpg in just a few years.

It's strange to see the apparent passing away of such a significant engine type so quickly at it's peak. TDI really boomed and collapsed at the same moment. Historic and weird.

Last edited:

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
All mine are gone but I still have the diesel W115. I'm still interested in a Mk2 TDI swap but I have more than enough incomplete projects at this point.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Still have my '03 Jetta. Using it as my daily driver. Seriously considering selling it so I can start to drive my ML350 Bluetec. I have only put about 800 miles on it in the last year. But when I do, I need to do the oil cooler seals on it and a bunch of tunes/deletes to make it only half as fun to drive as mein Jetta. Still on the fence. If I keep the ML350, then I'll plan on putting 100K miles on it before I get my next car. Or maybe I'll sell both and go with a Unimog... why the hell not. I'm not worried about mileage (or speed, obviously).

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Still have my '06, not getting rid of it anytime soon. Still love it, even though my new duraburb is more fun to drive... haha

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
Still have the Bug! 309k, all stock...Putting in new axles and rear shocks today. I can't see myself parting with it anytime soon...

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Sold my A3 TDI to Audi
Picked up a E320 CDI for about 13 months trying to decide what I wanted next... great car that CDI!
Ended up with a 535D and love it!!

mn PD jetta

TDI
2004 PD jetta GLS Manual box.
Yup still got mine too..

Don't think I'll be giving mine up soon either. ( even with all the lil' quirks). 229,000 just broke in...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Still have some:

Plus the B4, plus my sons' '02 Jetta and Golf. Not going anywhere.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello everyone !!!
I am still loving mine !!
Gees !! I hope you guys all stick around ,
you are SO much help when needed !!
I just got on here tonight to find the post by
Dan about checking the to see if the fans are working
OIL HAMMER ! Nice to see you are still helping !!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm not going anywhere. I'm like that big heavy cast iron bath tub in a house you just bought. Too much trouble to get rid of, still works OK, and you can just ignore the ugly stains.

madmarty1

TDI
2000 Jetta sedan-gone, 2002 Jetta Sportswagen-gone, 2010 Jetta Sportswagen-gone.
Still have my 2010 TDI Sportswagen, manual transmission, that I purchased new and took delivery of in September 2009. Approaching 16,800 miles (27,037 km) on the odometer as of 13 April 2018. It's my only vehicle.

Since I retired a few years back, haven't driven it as much as I did in the beginning. Sits in the garage all the time except when I occasionally take it out for some exercise. Throw a CTEK charger on the battery once a week to keep it charged. Still runs fine and looks close to pristine condition.

I'm definitely leaning towards the buyback. But currently nothing in VW's 2018 lineup I'm thrilled about. Probably go with Nissan, Toyota, Kia, maybe Subaru but want to stick with manual transmission, which is getting harder and harder to find these days in a car or SUV, along with some semblance of what I consider decent fuel economy. Using Consumer Reports, January 2018 issue, "New Cars Reliability Ratings", as a guide, along with other review sources like forums and YouTube, but not yet sold on any particular vehicle that's within my price range....@$28K max with buyback dollars figured in. Thus will end my 18+ years of driving VW TDI's, but maybe time for a change.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Still have mine, just broke it in at 230,000 + miles with no plans on getting rid of it. I'm also in the market for another TDI...:)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Still have my '02 Beetle. Daily driver with almost 70 mile round trip for work. Coming up on 345,000 miles and still going strong. Plans are in the works for a major refurb to keep it on the road for another few hundred thousand miles. It's completely paid for, so it's still cheaper than a new car.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Still have my '02 Beetle. Daily driver with almost 70 mile round trip for work. Coming up on 345,000 miles and still going strong. Plans are in the works for a major refurb to keep it on the road for another few hundred thousand miles. It's completely paid for, so it's still cheaper than a new car.
yeah I had my 12 jetta paid off but then stupid me went and got a 15 passat so now I have a small car payment.
Oh well can't leave well enough alone but I do like the passat better, rides nice and gets better mileage the the jetta.

Mark

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm on my 4th TDI and plan to keep it a long time.

:)

JAV37

TDI
2001, 2002 Jetta TDI 2011 Golf tdi, 2014 Jetta TDI wagon
2011 golf

I still have a 2001 a4 alh and an unmodified 2011 golf. Dealer threatened me about not having it modified.