EGT TEMPs (2)

GSXR600

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI.MODS are Tuneing box,K&N filter, MAF screens out and boost and EGT GAGUES. My Question is the place that installed my gauges said they put the EGT probe aft of the turbo. They said (we did that because incase the probe broke off it would not hurt the turbo). OK that makes sence.But when I am toweing my motorcycle down the highway I have seen my EGT climb up to 1100F remember aft of the turbo. AM I pushing the limits? They told me to add 300F to the reading on the gauge.Is this a good assumption? I know the limit is 1625F but is 1400F going to hurt for long periods of time?
Thanks for any help.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yikes. How fast are you driving?

I've towed a bike trailer for probably 13,000 km in the last couple of years, and have not had problems. I have no EGT gauge, I just try to make sure not to exceed what the engine could do with that trailer behind when the car was stock. I normally don't do much more than 110 km/h with the trailer in tow.

The chipped power is there when needed, but I consider that to be an "intermittent" rating, not a "continuous" one, in the interest of longevity.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
This Cummins forum has a lot of stuff on EGT's:
www.turbodieselregister.com

Unfortunately posting is not permitted without subscription to the magazine.

They pull trailers which causes those high EGT's, esp. in the mountains. 300 might be 400, maybe more at the high end.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: VelvetFoot ]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
You cannot guess at the temp drop from the TIT to the TOT because of varying turbine efficiency and power demands.

If I were to install an EGT system it would have both a TIT and TOT probe. THe probe breaking off thing is the least of your worries. I have yet to see an EGT probe break off and I have operated a lot of engines with this installed.

Usually the probe will wear away but never crack off.

DB