Intermittent Blues

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I've been pleased with the Passat's total absence of CEL warning lights (compared to my previous TDI Jettas) but I'm seeing more intermittent unreliability (though with no CELs) of certain functions:

1. Intermittent Wipers. About 25% of the time they don't work. Restarting the car may, or may not, restore operation. Same uncertainty with open windows and rain when car is locked.
2. Phone Bluetooth connectivity. About 10-15% of the time, it won't connect to my android phone even though it's listed in the display
3. SD card operation. Same story.

Since I bought this 'fixed' car from my dealer with a 120K warranty, I'm wondering if VW would replace what needs to be replaced under warranty. Has anyone had any success in getting VW to fix system faults like these?

It's only going to get worse.

Last edited:

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
"2. Phone Bluetooth connectivity. About 10-15% of the time, it won't connect to my android phone even though it's listed in the display"

This is my third TDI, and all have had this issue. I travel for work, and it's unaccptable. This car (15 Passat - non-Fender audio) had a new bluetooth module and new head unit installedby the dealer with the same issue - I had to replace it with an aftermarket head unit/mic/CarPlay).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Absolutely no problems ever to connect iPhone/s via Bluetooth in my SEL. 3 different phones over the last 3 years.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
My 2012 SE Passat drives me nuts with the bluetooth issues. My son and I share the car, and the Passat won't connect to my iphone anymore after it connects to his a few times. My phone is listed, I select it, but it refuses to connect. The only solution I've found is to delete my phone and re-add it when out of range of my son's phone. The tricky bit is that you can't delete a phone unless a different phone is actively connected... What a pain.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
"1. Intermittent Wipers. About 25% of the time they don't work. Restarting the car may, or may not, restore operation. Same uncertainty with open windows and rain when car is locked."

Are you talking about the intermittent wiper function, or rain sensor function?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
The rain sensor intermittently fails to work. If it doesn't work when it first starts to rain, it will never function during that driving session. About 75% of the time, it works normally.
Continuous wiping is normal.

But there are other issues. Besides the BT unreliability, the Start button is sometimes reluctant to start, or stop, the engine.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rain sensors in the NMS have been notoriously inconsistent. VW even stopped installing them, IIRC, during the 2013 production, and resumed again later.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's a thread here somewhere about disassembly/reassembly of the switch, cleaning the contacts???

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There's a thread here somewhere about disassembly/reassembly of the switch, cleaning the contacts???

I often wonder if it may be the interlock switch on the brake pedal.
Push too hard, no contact.

Let go and a momentary contact happens?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I'm getting very nervous. I'm currently camping in Maine and the start/stop button is getting increasingly unreliable. The fact that it's just as difficult to stop the engine as to start it suggests the problem is solely in the start/stop switch (not in the brake interface).

I don't have the resources here to disassemble the switch so I think I need to take it to a dealer. Nearest one is 45miles away. I take it that there's no way to start the car without the brake and button. The key doesn't do anything?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My experience with all dealerships is they won't take the time to disassemble and repair a part, they'll simply replace it. Sorry about that, as evidently the switch itself can be repaired.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I may have (I hope) found a solution to the start/stop problem. I called my dealer (350 miles away) and the service guy suggested I first replace the battery in my key fob. I had noticed that my wife seemed to have fewer start/stop issues with her key fob that is used much less often than mine. She prefers to drive her 30 year-old Miata. She's had it from new.

So, I replaced the battery and, so far, so good. Fingers crossed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if the fob was low, you'd get an error key not in range?

or if you held it to the steering column it'd start as normal, either way good luck, enjoy the 90+ temps camping.