1z head on a AHU Block?

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
little bit stuck maybe you guys can give me some help
in the process of swapping the warped china head from the Ahu and using a 1z engine from a Passat as donor

Can we use the 1z head complete, intake manifold exhaust manifold turbo etc? I noticed right away the EGR cooler on the intake being different
not seeing any thing else different enough to stop me from using the none EGR head complete
if we use the none EGR head, What do we do with the coolant hose's that would other wise go to the cooler?

or is it better just to swap the AHU intake/exhaust/turbo over

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Some 1Z’s had 8mm valves instead of 7, but it’s really irrelevant for swapping.

Yes, the heads will just swap with no problem. The cooler was an add-on that you don’t need unless you want it. I took mine off and haven’t missed it. Just re-route the hoses to ignore the cooler, they’ll work fine. Mines been this way for over a decade.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
this again?
Learn to search please!
Yes work perfectly fine

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It'd be best to tune the car to delete EGR from the computer, which IMO is a very good thing to do on any diesel. The EGR puts exhaust gases into the intake, which includes carbon, which clogs it up...

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
Thank you Abacus, did you just use a 90* coming out of the firewall hose to the flange on the driver side?

Mongler98, I did try search but didn't find any thing regarding the EGR, SORRY!

do we need vag-com to adjust the computer for the EGR delete?
which I don't have, but I suppose we can just work that out later.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
VCDS, the software previously known as VAG-Com, can't completely deal with no EGR valve. One can program a minimum EGR cycle but you might still get a CEL. Need a tune to completely eliminate it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Search "AHU EGR"
and
AHU head fitment 1Z or ALH
many threads about "can the AHL work on AHU and it all comes down to what heads fit what blocks.
When i search i find that there is over 100+ threads each topic.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
while your at it, go with a PD130 or PD150 intake and upgrade the turbo to a hybrid. Buy once cry once. you will be getting a tune to delete the EGR so why not include a sage 1.5 or 2 tune on the baby? Possible nozzles?

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
Roger that, Maybe just get it started first?
I don't mind a CEL for now.. and future plans are to use the TDI in a Jeep swap we will see how that goes.

got every thing in place, just need to get a fitting for the coolant line and get the timing all set.

appreciate the help guys.

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
uhmm how do we work around the alarm deal after connecting the battery??

got every thing buttoned up go to connect the batt and I get hazards and horn flashing like she's saying "Im being stolen! HELP!"..
I'm assuming something simple but owners manual doesn't say any thing..

suggestions??

:edit searched and tried the driver side door unlock/lock still no luck.. passenger side door lock is bust, could that be the cause?

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sounds like bamboo is a good old newb lol
No harm is learning bro, we have all been there. just funny to see the alarm bit lol

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
lol full blown newb my friend but not afraid to show it. I hope to know these engines good enough one day to keep it running for a long time.

got the alarm deal sorted out( thankyou guys) but now I cant get it to start..
going to do some searching but, should we see RPM's while cranking? charging the battery but wondering if maybe a bad crank position sensor ?

I get glowplug light but for only a split second..it seems like all the dash lights do light up though
maybe just the fully charged battery will do it, seemed to have been cranking a bit slow.

Bamboo

TDI
Powerstroke??
got it started!

It smokes and vibrates pretty good at about 1500-1700 rpm..? Also sounds like something rubbing towards the bottom end/crank side

little back story, Picked this one up for free 3 years ago, story goes it broke the timing belt and bent two valves P/O put a new top end/cam/valves/head,only to find the new head warped got tired of working on it and put it on craigslist.

I had the Passat which I couldn't get to run ( i assumed the injection pump was not making enough pressure got smoke and cough's but never ran) so I took the head from that one but other wise didn't know the condition of the 1z

what kind of damage can be done to the bottom end from a timing belt breaking?

how noisy are the powersteering pumps ? the P/O had the pump + bracket removed not sure if maybe it was broke and that might be what is making the rubbing/grinding noise by the crank..

Last edited: