MOUNTED my new massive tires today! :)

TDI
98 Beetle 2005 Jetta wagon
Hey man checking out your Jetta which looks awesome. Were you running stock springs in the rear? I've had a new beetle TDI with the metalnerd kit and it's just too small for my kiddo now, so I'm about to put lift up my wagon. I didn't use any lift in the rear for the beetle because I think just some heavy-duty shocks made the difference.
were you running anything special for a strut in the front?
I'm a park ranger here in Nevada and do a lot of backcountry hunting so anytime I can not have to drive my truck 8 hours saves me some cash.
Did the 215/75s rub when driving dirt roads, ever try a 215/60?
Thanks in advance,
Adam

Last edited:

jcm1990

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Also a jeep guy here. Every time i buy a car i think about doing this and have to restrain myself...this post is not helping my restraint HAHA. That wagon looks so badass i might just have to keep an eye out for one just for this purpose......Or maybe BFG's on a Jetta sedan haha.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a question... I would like to put the 10mm spacers in my struts, but the car is all together. Here is the gist of my question: can I apply down force/weight to the front struts remove the nut, add spacers and then tighten the bolts back down? My front has settled a bit more than I would like, and the rear looks too high. This isn't just about looks, as an additional 0.390" in the front adds safety. Any ideas, better ideas?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
you would have to put spring compressors on, unbolt the nut on the top, push down on the strut shaft from the top (wooden hammer handle works good, as does a 2nd set of hands you can trust) pull out both the rubber mount and the strut bearing from the underside, then you can push back down on the strut shaft and slip on the spacer(s) put new strut bearings and rubber mounts (recommended since you are already in there and they aren't spendy) and reconnect the hat & nut on the top properly.

yes it can be done, but you are working around spring compressors, the fender, pushing the shaft down from above, and reaching in from below to get the old mounts and bearings removed and everything reinstalled in that same tight area.

you do this at your own risk, this is Not exactly an easy ballet to pull off.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Growler, thank you for the heads up on this process. Initially I thought it was possible w/o breaking down the struts, and then it dawned on me this is likely no easy job. I have a set of spring compressors I purchased years ago I considered shortening to simplify the job. The drivers side is cake to access, the passenger side not so much.

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
Well those look great! I notice this was posted in 2016. How did the do over time? How was the handling, ride tire wear? I assume they made your gears a bit taller so how was it getting started on a steep hill? Thanks.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Sorry I haven't been very good at updating this thread.... The lift is still dong great! I have had zero problems with it.... Ive put nearly 40,000 miles on it... I ran the Grabbers for about 1 year and got tired of them... they were noisy and I found I was always between 4th and 5th gear on the mt. roads near my house. I switched to 205/70-15 geolander A/T's and its the perfect setup. Feels like stock, still looks good, and doesnt effect gearing and fuel economy the way the grabbers did. They are quiet and still work good on dirt roads and snow. I use this car for everything.. its like my little truck! The only wear items i have replaced are the rie rod ends... I dont know how old they were... they were on the car when I bought it... So it likely was mileage related and the condition was exasperated by the lift but who knows. Other than that its all good. No goofy tire wear or axle/ball joint issues. Im still averaging 42-45 mpg.

https://imgur.com/tEw6JVS

Last edited:

Mtnkid85

Sorry I haven't been very good at updating this thread.... The lift is still dong great! I have had zero problems with it.... Ive put nearly 40,000 miles on it... I ran the Grabbers for about 1 year and got tired of them... they were noisy and I found I was always between 4th and 5th gear on the mt. roads near my house. I switched to 205/70-15 geolander A/T's and its the perfect setup. Feels like stock, still looks good, and doesnt effect gearing and fuel economy the way the grabbers did. They are quiet and still work good on dirt roads and snow. I use this car for everything.. its like my little truck! The only wear items i have replaced are the rie rod ends... I dont know how old they were... they were on the car when I bought it... So it likely was mileage related and the condition was exasperated by the lift but who knows. Other than that its all good. No goofy tire wear or axle/ball joint issues. Im still averaging 42-45 mpg.

https://imgur.com/tEw6JVS

Thanks for the update! I just got done doing suplex VR6 springs with the 10mm spacer up front and the Wagon towing springs in the rear of my 04 Wagon. Looks like I came out with 1.75-2" of lift and have been debating back and forth on 215/75s or 205/75s. Im just going to stick with a road tire not a full on AT though.
Its nice getting a longer term update from you.