High mileage CR - post it up!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Fawk.... Wonder how many times those piston rings have gone up and down?

Is it an oil burner? :D

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
unfortunately its on its second engine due to the alternator pulley taking out the timing belt at 509,000 whilst doing 110. even the first engine didnt use any oil between services. Interesting to see how much longer he'll continue with this car.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
At this point the engine is irrelevant....

Wheel bearings? Brakes? Suspension?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
No wheel bearings as yet, two sets of rear shocks but I guess that understandable being a taxi and often has a full car. Strangely it's had quite a few steering rack joints. Original hpfp.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Wow, original HPFP and wheel bearings. Original turbo? How many DPF removals for cleaning?

Bravo, that is some ridiculous mileage for such a new car, usually only see that from big rigs.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Turbo was changed at 571,000 but nothing wrong with it. Vw miss-diagnosed a loss of power which turned out to be a maf sensor. Lol!
First dpf was replaced at 250,000, then again 571,000 as the ash load was double the max limit. I spoke to him last night, now on 603,000, car wouldn't start at the weekend, needed a new engine earth cable. The interesting thing is this he really drives this car hard. Laughs how it turned 600,000 whilst doing just over 120mph. He's hoping to push on for a million miles in it now which should be in around 4 years time.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm getting shocks and brakes all around at 148K miles. My Indy said I needed them. I went with Bilstein Touring shocks and struts. I always thought I'd go for the Bilstein HD shocks, but decided to just go with the the Bilstein OEM replacement. I liked the car the away it was with the old OEM shocks, so I suspect it will be just fine with the touring shocks and struts. They say they'er about 10% stiffer than stock. Of course my OEM shocks had 148K miles on them and they were leaking, so 10% stiffer than new OEM should be an improvement.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Hi guys, sad day I'm afraid. Richard decided it was time to let the toucan go. At 605,700 miles the car overheated needing a new thermostat. this wasn't a big deal and had it done last week. The problem was the dual mass was knocking its brains out again and the gearbox bearings were pretty worn too and getting very noisy requiring a rebuild. With the cost of all this it was time to think if it was worth it. He bought a brand new Touran R-line 2.0 tdi on wednesday and began its life as a taxi on thursday. Clocked 900 miles already.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Now I am here to report 258k miles on my JSW. I look forward to drive her past 500k or beat that 600k miles Tiguan.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
2010 Cup Edition just rolled over 200k this week. Looking forward to another 200k.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! Sadly my 2011 JSW didn’t make it, went nearly 300k and DSG ECU took a crap shortly after being rear ended and she never was the same so I let her go thru the buyback. Yep with everything intact :(

Now I am back with 2014 JSW TDI and 2014 VW Passat TDI. Both are now at 46k, a year ago, Passat had 20k and JSW had 27k on Sept 2018 when bought.

Edit: Added DSG ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I’m finally getting close to 200,000. I’m at 181,000. Sadly, turbo and transmission have been replaced and since then, I’ve done an EGR/DPF delete. Close to 10,000 dollars in repair since owning it in 2015.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
sweet! original engine is what counts. dont worry about others. :) keep driving. how did the turbo and trans went ? DSG or 6MT?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
I think I can drop a bomb on this....I have a 2011 JSW. 155K at the moment. I bought it as a C.P.O. car with 68K in 2018. I was driving a med route running about 150-200 miles a day. The Co. I was subcontracting from used TDI MK VI cars. Two of them that sold back to VW were a 2010 4 dr and a 2011 JSW. The 4 door had.....720K on it when it was sold back. Impressive, you'd say🤔 Well, the JSW had.....wait for it....960K on it when it was sold back to VW...for$5000🤯 The service guy at Lithia VW in Salem, Or. said he'd have paid $3000 for it if he could'a bought it. He mentioned the overall condition was EXCELLENT and it ran like a car with 60K on it. It was primarily maintained by HALSEY VOLKSWAGEN service in Portland. The owner of Halsey VW once said he was so impressed by that particular customers results that he bought MK VI cars for himself and his wife both😃 These cars will GOOO LONG....if you maintain them like a fiend. Considering that those miles would be a tax write
off at an average of $.50 a mile, both cars paid for themselves and the maint....MANY TIMES OVER.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
look forward to it. I made it to nearly 300k miles on my old 2011 JSW and got rear ended..... DSG/Motor/Turbo are original, no issues. CP3 was swapped for heck of it at 240k miles. now I have 2014 JSW bought on Sept 2018, now 93k miles. CP3CR170 swapped at 25k miles after 5 hpfp failures.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Before Covid hit I was doing about 400miles a week on my JSW, and just about 190k miles. Since then i've only managed to put about 3000 more miles on it. Seeing other members with high miles adds assurance.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
look forward to it. I made it to nearly 300k miles on my old 2011 JSW and got rear ended..... DSG/Motor/Turbo are original, no issues. CP3 was swapped for heck of it at 240k miles. now I have 2014 JSW bought on Sept 2018, now 93k miles. CP3CR170 swapped at 25k miles after 5 hpfp failures.
YOU HAD 5 HPFP FAILURES🤯 All on the one car? In under 25K!!!?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
How much was the CP3 conversion? Did you get it in a "kit" ? Can you direct me to where I'd get the parts? Mine had the HPFP failure about 40k ago, still under warranty😬 It's Kerma tuned ECU/TCU, runs strong, avg. about 39 mpg. It's been hard starting a little lately. Cranks 10-20 secs before firing AFTER it's been setting for a bit or overnight. Thoughts?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It's been hard starting a little lately. Cranks 10-20 secs before firing AFTER it's been setting for a bit or overnight. Thoughts?
There are other threads about longer cranking on the first start of the day (e.g., links below). I have it too sometimes, but it comes and goes. Mine seems to do it more with warmer weather. I tend to believe the explanation about oil pressure having something to do with the longer crank times, although at first I thought it was a fuel delivery issue.

Instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn it off after 2 turns, then mostly it fires right up on the first restart. That doesn't always work, but mostly it does. I don't like letting it churn. I like when it fires right up as usual!

Increased Cranking Time When Starting

2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

PS: I've had a CP3 pump for a while. That does not eliminate the issue. My Cp3 pump was installed by German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM) in Pennsylvania, but you can also buy a kit (link below).

TDI CP3 Fuel Pump Conversion Kit

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From my experience, the longer crank times are usually battery related. Either it didn't get charged enough from the last run or it's been sitting a while and decharging due to the alarm system and anything else that might be on stand-by. I've been using the glow plug cycling twice in a row before turning it over. Seems to fire just fine after that. Yes, I'm doing that even with the car sitting in the garage and air temp over 70. Battery is almost 6 years old and it only stumbles on the first start of the day. Well maybe first start of the week snice we rarely go anywhere right now.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
How much was the CP3 conversion? Did you get it in a "kit" ? Can you direct me to where I'd get the parts? Mine had the HPFP failure about 40k ago, still under warranty😬 It's Kerma tuned ECU/TCU, runs strong, avg. about 39 mpg. It's been hard starting a little lately. Cranks 10-20 secs before firing AFTER it's been setting for a bit or overnight. Thoughts?
I got lucky on old 2micron CP3 pump, sold the filter kit to someone else, running the CP3 the old school way with oem VW filter set up.

best kits I've seen are whitbread, Xman CP3 kits.

cranking 10 seconds? thats... not... good. hope it is the battery. how old? I had 2 batteries crap out on me last summer, 2 years old basic VW el-cheapo batteries. (that ticked me off lol cuz it caused other problems) went with the actual recommended VW batteries with 72AH.

since I installed them, they started up at ease.