04 golf tdi (bew) limp mode after changing leaky intercooler

TDI
2004 golf tdi
I bought an 04 golf tdi (bew) from a dealership then found the intercooler was leaking and had the engine code P0101, also on moderate to heavy acceleration there would be noticeable black smoke from the exhaust. I changed the intercooler and the maf sensor.. now I have a code for turbo boost P0236 and when I first turn the car on it is in limp mode, but after turning it off and on the car is normal and drives fine... any ideas what this could mean?
Thanks
Adrian

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you put a non Bosch maf sensor in there? Try swapping back in the old maf sensor and check the wiring to the MAF.

Same goes for the map sensor on top of the intercooler, did you also put a new one of those in there? Was it a Bosch?

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
^^^
MAP and MAF sensors not matching can cause this.
If you didn't use a new sensor it could be dirty and not functioning correctly.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

TDI
2004 golf tdi
Only switched out the Maf sensor, and yes it was bosch the new intercooler came with a sensor not sure if it was Bosch maybe I will put the old sensor in there and see how I runs

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Operate the actuator by hand, sometimes this alone can help loosen sticky vanes. Connect a vacuum pump and gauge to the actuator, pump (suck) it up to maybe 15"/Hg, see if it holds.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The best way imop is to remove the clip from the actuator and move the lever by hand. It makes it much easier to feel what's going on and know if it's sticking at all.
Sometimes the actuator itself rusts through and doesn't work. Other times the innards if the turbo wear out and it sticks at a point. Many pictures of worn turbo rings around here.
Just use some string, or dental floss, to tie to your clip in case if it pops of when trying to put it back on so it's able to be found. This is a really important step so don't forget. Nothing like having to but a new clip to screw up your day.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk