Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 Synthetic oil

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
AutoZone has just signed with Exxon-Mobil to sell Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 (API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/CF/SL/SJ) in it's stores and should be available by August in all stores nationwide. They are currently negotiating with Wal-Mart to carry the oil nationwide in their chain. This oil is currenty being made available at Mobil retailers and jobbers such as AVLube.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Good find Old Navy!

This is welcome news.

I know a lot of people are gonna be pleased about this.............depending on the price. ;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It's about eff'n time.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
The Mobile distributor a quarter mile down the street from my place of work has always sold Mobile oils.
My mind must work in an old school way for me to not think that unusual.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Long_Range said:
The Mobile distributor a quarter mile down the street from my place of work has always sold Mobile oils.
My mind must work in an old school way for me to not think that unusual.
It's about 40 miles to nearest Mobil distributor for me and that is why I usually depend on the AutoZone for my oil. That and the fact the guy does not sell anything by the qt, just cases, tubs and barrels. :rolleyes:

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Good news ON...but for me personally it's "a day late and a dollar short" You can't basically remove a product from wide distribution for over 6 months and then be able to just waltz it back in without some residual backlash. I wonder what they did to get it pulled form the Wal*Mart shelves in the 1st place. It was certainly a miscalculation on thier part in some way. Whether it was a missed production deadline or bad negotiating.

All I know is that I was forced to make a decision on a new oil for changes while thier product was not readily available. That decision was made when Impex decided to start selling 506.01 for $10.xx a liter. Now, Mobil has probably lost my oil business (not that it amounts to that much) for the forseable future. Had the new Turbo T&SUV been available I very likely would have not made the switch. The retail end is probably only a fraction of the sales of this particular product...but I'm sure there is going to be SOME effect on the sales volume from it being off the shelves for such a long time. Price and oil analysis of the NEW T&SUV will determine whether I ever come back. It will mainly depend on what kind of mileage increase I get from 506.01 and what type of drain intervals I'm able to achieve with it using UOA.

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
So, whats wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 that is found at Autozone, wal-mart etc. Its recommended by Mobil for VWs and its 505.00 certified. explain why everyone is excited about 5W-40.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Stevestyle67 said:
So, whats wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 that is found at Autozone, wal-mart etc.
Nothing at all.
Its recommended by Mobil for VWs and its 505.00 certified. explain why everyone is excited about 5W-40.
The 5W40 has been used by many on this forum with great results. One member ran it out to 25K miles without any problems.

IMO, the 5W40 also is well received because it was priced very well compared to most of the VW spec'd oils- especially when it was available at Walmart for $22/5 qts. AFAIK, the newly packaged product will not be available in these large containers, and the 1qt bottles are priced about the same as the 0W40.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
More specifically, the 5W-40 oil is designed for heavy-duty diesels and allows for longer drain intervals with diesel engines than the 0W-40 which is a dual-purpose gasoline/light-duty diesel oil.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Stevestyle67 said:
So, whats wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 that is found at Autozone, wal-mart etc. Its recommended by Mobil for VWs and its 505.00 certified. explain why everyone is excited about 5W-40.
There is nothing really wrong with M1 0w40. But over at BITOG, based on comparisons of virgin oil analyses of the current version with the previous version, there is a consensus that Mobil has really cut the quality of the 0w40. The "new" M1 0w40 has a totally different additive package, making it a lot cheaper to manufacture but not as good as it used to be.

I'm going to paraphrase, rather than looking it up, but one comment really stood out: "It doesn't look like a $5/quart oil anymore... more like a $3.50/quart oil."

Even for gas engines where a VW 505.00-rated oil is recommended, people have found better oils for the same price.

And for TDI engines, there are quite a few better choices. Unfortunately, most of the better choices are harder to find than the Mobil 1 0w40.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
2 year old M1 0W40 on left, 6 month old M1 0W40 on right ;)

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Im new at the oil analysis stuff... what is "B" and why the disparity in the numbers?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don, B is boron....typically is used as an additive. I'll go back and double-check the report - -that could be a typo on my part.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
dieseldorf said:

It sure looks like that "weaker" additive package performed quite well. This once again shows the folly of internet pundits trying to out guess the maker of an oil.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mparker326 said:
It sure looks like that "weaker" additive package performed quite well. This once again shows the folly of internet pundits trying to out guess the maker of an oil.
I agree with your statement, but note that this UOA is from dd's gasser, so we need to acknowledge that the numbers do not necessarily reflect this oil's performance in a tdi.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
tditom said:
I agree with your statement, but note that this UOA is from dd's gasser, so we need to acknowledge that the numbers do not necessarily reflect this oil's performance in a tdi.
FYI: The thread TR was referring to on BITOG was a gasser discussion.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, correct. Those values are from our gasser - - I posted ONLY so people could see additization levels between the "old" product and the current offering.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dd- I think I missed the point. Are you saying the one on the left is a different formulation? I saw that each of these samples had >10K mi and thought that you were showing how well it holds up over the normal OCI+.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
dd- I think I missed the point. Are you saying the one on the left is a different formulation?

Many things have changed and lots of oil companies have re-formulated recently. While I am not suggesting there has been a change, I was just repsonding to TR's note that this oil has been downgraded by Mobil during a re-formulation and should now cost $3.50/qt.

TR said:
I'm going to paraphrase, rather than looking it up, but one comment really stood out: "It doesn't look like a $5/quart oil anymore... more like a $3.50/quart oil."

I am not making any additional comments; the M1 0W40 in the left column was produced about 2 years ago. The M1 0W40 in the right column was produced about 6 months ago. There is a difference in additization levels.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW, how much more consistency could anyone ask for between those two UOAs :confused: :D

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
I can not wait for M1 5w-40 to be back on the shelves. I should get an oil analysis for the Rotella blue I've been running the past 5,000 miles.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
AccountingTroll said:
I can not wait for M1 5w-40 to be back on the shelves. I should get an oil analysis for the Rotella blue I've been running the past 5,000 miles.
You need to do one more oil change to clear out the previous oil used before the Rotella.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dieseldorf said:

Comparing your UOA (the one on the right) with this VOA ( http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000347 ) or this one ( http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000275 ) suggests to me that your oil change interval is just a bit too long.

1) VOA TBN was 12.6 (I've seen different but similar numbers, but let's assume it's close).

UOA TBN was 3.73. TBN isn't a crucial number for gassers, but your low number still indicates a lot of acidity in the oil.

2) VOA cP @100ºC = 11.014
Your UOA cP @100ºC = 12.62

Thickening is somewhat normal in a diesel oil in a diesel engine, as it absorbs soot. Why is this oil getting thicker?

3) The additive package has not degraded, when compared to the VOA. But it is the original additive package that was criticized. And the base oil, by some critics.

I'm thinking 8k miles is probably a safer OCI. I don't know whether the original (SL) version was better for a 10k OCI.

mparker326 said:
A pundit is defined as an expert in a particular field, who is called upon to offer advice to the public. I am not an expert, ergo I am not a pundit.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wmahaffey said:
I did not see where anyone has asked this question. Is this Mobil 5w-40 VW certified for 505.01?
No. So it's not for 2004-and-later TDI engines. Mobil doesn't sell a product in North America for the PD engines.