BHW timing belt counting teeth method?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Wow *** were people thining saying the v6 tranny isn't bad on a TDI. I got rid of my fj40 only because 65mph is not a fun top comfortable crusing speed since about 1988

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
My first conversion used a V6 gasse5 speed. Ratios are:
DVZ 1st 3.5 2nd 1.944444 3rd 1.3 4th 0.942857 5th 0.789474 FD 3.7

Ay 2000 RPM you are going 49MPH in 5th. About 10 MPH less than a EEN, DUK or FHN/GGB from Europe. Best option stateside though.

I do have a GGB which needs 1st, 2nd and 3rd synchros which I am considering selling.

I was really only interested as the car is 800 bucks.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
2750 at 70 MPH in 5th with a DVZ,

At least that will give you the linkage, trans mounts, axles, pedals, clutch line etc.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
2750 isn't terrible, so long as you don't hit Atlanta or Charlotte i 85 traffic where you need to hit 90 to stay with traffic.

What is usual rpm for the bhw with stock auto at 70mph?

These vw motors rev better than my previous swaps where 2000 rpms was the sweet spot

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes i am. The last big stihl order we had and it snowed, got covered with chainsaws and generators because everyone freaks in the south over even an inch of snow...well they were put outside and ruined. Thank you co workers.

Good news is we placed an order including br600 and br700 blowers today. If it ships fedex we will get them tomorrow. If it ships motor freight i will get it Friday or Monday.

They are pulled and reserved for you and since you placed the order back when Clemson was losing and Gamecocks were winning you still the the bogo free!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Its a great morning to be back in the world of imported cars! I remeber my boosted ls/vtec delsol days. You knew how your day was gonna go by your commute to work. No cels...great day. But you knew once or twice a year you were gonna have that cel.

My first morning driving my 05 passat to work...first the coolant light came on. Then before i even got to the end of the street a cel. Then i noticed no power at low rpms. I made zero friends on the free way this morning between the hills and entrance ramp.

So i stopped and got some g12...its only a few table spoons low. I also dropped by orileys to read the cel. I assumed since it had driven fine so up until this morning the cold was just messing with the egr.

But a dreaded p0299 came up!!! Oh no!!!

I had all the charge pipes out of the top between playing with the tp and looking for oil leaks. I had also examined the turbo for excess oil or shaft play/fin damage while i was in there and she looked good on the intake side. There is an expected amount of oil residue in the charge pipes, mostly gathering in valleys but nothing id consider excessive.

So now i get to play the game where is the boost leak! Yay!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a ? About the cel. Found a craked line going from my wg to my n75. On my excursion once you repair the issue i think my cel goes away...or did i unplug the batteries?

I cant remember....with the tdi I've seen some say you turn it on and of 5 times others say to disconnect the battery others say you need to clear it with the vag or auto store scanner....i may have another issue as well but all the charge pipes look good and tight. The n75 hose was stupid brittle. When i removed it last it was nice and pliable at 70 degrees. Less so at 30. Thats in
F for the sophisticated people using Celsius.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The cracked n75 to wg hose was the issue

Couldn't get a high dollar snap on scan tool to clear the cel. Couldn't even get it to connect.

Came home and took out the cheap 5 dollar harbor freight obd2 scan tool the gf gave me for xmas that i thought I'd never have a use for, it read and cleared with zero issue. YAY for that. Although im sure she got it on wish or Amazon but looks like one from HF.