Intake Cleaning - hit a snag...

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I tried the intake cleaning this this morning and ran into a problem. The EGR cooler to connecting pipe has a stripped bolt (previous to my work)...

I got the top bolt with some difficulty (needed some PB Blaster) but my 6mm hex can't grab anything on the bottom bolt. It is rusty and crap was inside of the hex but I took a pick and dug it out. I can get the hex into the bolt about 2-3mm but it still won't grab anything. Any ideas on how to get the bolt out if stripped and rusted?

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i feel ya, ive had a few intake bolts nearly strip on me too.

i would try a reverse tap first

if that doesnt work, depending on the location of the bolt thats stripped, you may be able to grind a slot into it and use a standard screwdriver... i use that trick alot.

sorry to hear about this. i really enjoy working on cars until something unexpected comes along. always puts a damper on things. :(

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
One tool that helped me out was a ball shaped socket that allows some flexibility when using it.

Good Luck

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Well, I stopped my tear down at that bolt. I wasnt sure if I was going to break the bolt or what so I stopped. It was a weekend and I didn't have a spare to replace it with.

Any chance of shearing off the bolt head and really screwing myself, or will the bolt loosen before shearing...I am not worried about a mangled bolt, just worried about a broken one...