MK4 ALH Golf 5spd hard to shift 1st - 2nd

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
Hey Guys,

I have noticed that my 5spd is getting a little more difficult to shift - colder mornings (-30C to -15C) it is a little more noticeable...

More specifically it is shifting into Reverse and out of Reverse... sometimes it seems to almost lock into place and you have to 'wrench' it out of Reverse... and then 1st and 2nd are extremely sticky.. and you can almost feel the gears as you shift it... drives fine once in gear - and warms up after driving a bit and isnt a problem.... no noises in reverse 1st OR 2nd.. ... all other gears are fine when shifting...

Vehicle now has about 225k kms on it.. I put in a new upgraded SMF clutch at about 180k kms (when I bought it)- I am the second owner... it was alaways somewhat 'sticky' in shifting but it seems to have gotten slightly worse...

any thoughts?

I have never changed the gear oil - though its claimed to be 'lifetime' but I wonder if that might be a good idea?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I've been noticing the exact same thing in mine, but only when it's cold. It feels like it comes out of first okay, but it isn't 'lined up' right to go into second. Doesn't grind, but doesn't feel healthy.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
similar... mine only sticks when in reverse... sometimes literally its like its locked in reverse... even with the clutch pushed in of course...

as mentioend the gears are smooth themselves...

1st and 2nd are a little 'sticky' coming out as well...

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I changed my gear oil in the fall after 220,000 k, used LubroMoly G4 75W90 IIRC. It shifts a little hard in the first few shifts when cold but after it warms a little its really smooth, I'm switching back to the OE stuf in the spring.
It says "lifetime" but really it should be changed, could also reset or adjjust the linkage

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
I will have to try adjusting the linkage in this case...
I have sprayed some lubricant in the linkages to see if that helped at all - and it might have helped a bit but its still not perfect...