Also NOT coming to US: VW camping minivans

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ra...lifornia-beach
Mr Bus is ALIVE!
Had a school-bus-yellow Westfilia camper-bus way back when.

So what do we get?
A re-badged Chrysler/Dodge minivan WITHOUT the Sto&Go second row seating.

VWoA is giving America what it wants. Trying to lead from behind.

And they HAVE THE NERVE to market the model NOT COMING HERE as "The California Beach"...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I see why we can't get it here: 4 Motion and a TDI. No where to put the adblue tank!

I knew that I had see it before but didn't realize the nameplate was going on 25 years.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Too serious!

Is the T6 the same size and the Eurovan or larger? I think that was the last VW van we got over here.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I am pretty conviced that VWOA is staffed by complete retards. VW campers are huge in this area and have quite the following. A new VW camper van would be a hit. Instead they give us a discontented "Americanized" Jetta and a huge bloated passat and wonder why they can't sell cars. :rolleyes:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Too serious!
Can't help being German...
Is the T6 the same size and the Eurovan or larger? I think that was the last VW van we got over here.
The Eurovan was the T4. The T5 was a lot larger than the T4, and the T6 now keeps all the hard points of the T5. (Think Mk6 vs MkV Golf)

All dimensions in mm:

T4:
Length SWB: 4707, LWB: 5107
Width: 1840
Height: 1940

T5/T6:
Length SWB: 4892, LWB: 5292
Width: 1904
Height: 1935

Cargo capacity T5/T6 SWB passenger version with seats removed: 4525L. LWB: 5225L.

For comparison, a Chrysler minivan is a lot longer than the SWB, has 3912L, and in the Volkswagen, you don't have wheel wells intruding into the interior.
Here's a Czech review with good comparison pictures:
http://www.automotonews.cz/2013/05/...er-2-8-crd-vs-volkswagen-multivan-2-0-bi-tdi/

A Golf wagon has 1620L (Mk7)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Something to consider is that the T4 failed in the US due to being too expensive. Americans like their vans either bigger, or smaller and cheaper. Or, really, as SUVs instead of vans.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Maybe the cost issue could be used by making the vans in the NAFTA zone.

Mercedes is trying utilitarian versions of their mid-sized commercial vans in the US now. If that takes off, expect VW (T6), Ford (Transit Custom), RAM/Fiat (Scudo), GM (Vivaro) and others to follow.

No SUV has room like those vans. Even a Suburban is only about 3400L cargo volume.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Oh, certainly, but American consumer buyers have typically gone for smaller vans if they went for vans at all (Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town & Country, that sort of thing - I think the only one of the American minivan class (which overlaps, but is slightly larger than, your large MPV class) that you get is the Chrysler Caravan), and the T4 never targeted commercial buyers in the US.

Then again, a T4 is about as big inside as an Express/Savana or Econoline (just not as long), so if the price of that class of van can be held down below the full-size European vans, it could work.

Looks like the US-market Mercedes Metris (what they're calling the W447 Vito here) is 2.0T gas only, though.

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Looks like the US-market Mercedes Metris (what they're calling the W447 Vito here) is 2.0T gas only, though.
That could change...
The Vitos are good vans as well. Even freakishly tall people are comfortable in the third row. I got a pretty bad speeding ticket in a last-generation Vito last year too. The longitudinal engine layout and general styling means they are longer than a comparable VW van.

Looking at cargo volume, a Vito passenger version (three wheelbases available) hauls 4200, 4630 or 5010L - a bit less than the T6, still more than a minivan.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mercedes is trying utilitarian versions of their mid-sized commercial vans in the US now. If that takes off, expect VW (T6), Ford (Transit Custom), RAM/Fiat (Scudo), GM (Vivaro) and others to follow.
Ford Transit is already here. There have been a lot of radio commercials over the last six weeks or so really pushing the Transit (not transit connect). Also seeing more of the Fiat (Ram) and Nissan minivans. Kind of ugly and looks like they come standard with 14 inch tires. Or they at least looked that small.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The Transit Custom that German_1er_diesel is referring to is in between the full-size Transit and the Transit Connect in size.

The Ram ProMaster City (Fiat Doblo) and Nissan NV200 are fugly, indeed. (They're in the Transit Connect class.)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, wasn't sure where the customer fit. Seems that the car manufacturers are thinking that "our" love affair with SUVs may be waning. Everyone and their brother are offering new vans in several sizes. I would ask if I missed something but my days of wanting/needing a van are at least ten years behind me.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Ford Transit is already here. There have been a lot of radio commercials over the last six weeks or so really pushing the Transit (not transit connect). Also seeing more of the Fiat (Ram) and Nissan minivans. Kind of ugly and looks like they come standard with 14 inch tires. Or they at least looked that small.
You are getting the Transit Connect and the Transit. NOT the Transit Custom and the Transit Courier. So only two of the four sizes.

Transit Courier < Transit Connect < Transit Custom < Transit

Ram/Fiat are bringing the "Promaster City" (Fiat Doblò) and the "Promaster" (Fiat Ducato). Here it goes like:

Fiorino < Doblò < Scudo < Ducato < Iveco Daily

Mercedes has:

Citan < "Metris" (Vito) < Sprinter < Vario (though the Vario has ended production and will probably be replaced by a HD Sprinter)

Volkswagen has (on the commercial vehicle side):

Caddy < Transporter (T6) < Crafter

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
While I have no stake in this thread, just wanted to thank German_1er_diesel for the many informative posts. I usually learn something new and I always enjoy that. Having resources available like this, world wide, is really the power of the internet. Thanks for contributing, G1d...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While I want to curse German 1er diesel for all of these posts about vehicles we can't get on this side of the pond!

just kidding!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
for ever, VW has made its mark in the automotive world by leading, but for decades, VWOA and as a consequence VWC have decided to follow something (not sure what) and then wonder why they get their arse handed to them by Kia, Hyundai, all of Japan, etc.

There are really only three vehciles I could ever want that I dont have: a Series 1 Elise (can't blame VW for that) a T5 LWB TDI AWD and a new or B6 or B7 Passat wagon in same configuration. You know the answer to the last two. Wouldn't mind a Polo, though and of course Blue Sport.

I am sick of being offered nothing but the very bottom of the VW barrel.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
for ever, VW has made its mark in the automotive world by leading, but for decades, VWOA and as a consequence VWC have decided to follow something (not sure what) and then wonder why they get their arse handed to them by Kia, Hyundai, all of Japan, etc.

There are really only three vehciles I could ever want that I dont have: a Series 1 Elise (can't blame VW for that) a T5 LWB TDI AWD and a new or B6 or B7 Passat wagon in same configuration. You know the answer to the last two. Wouldn't mind a Polo, though and of course Blue Sport.

I am sick of being offered nothing but the very bottom of the VW barrel.
Go to Germany. Purchase the model you want. Ship it to the US. Make the necessary changes to meet US standards for safety and pollution. There you are.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd kill to get one of these for mountain bike trips. Just bring it to the US!!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, Pat Dolan is in Canada, but at least for the US, that process for new cars basically costs supercar money, and therefore really only makes sense for actual supercars.

Easier to build something similar from things that are available in the US market.

The S1 Elise... well, those are mostly over 15 years old, so just bring one in, Canada allows it under historical vehicle importation laws. Import a left-hand drive one, and you won't even get demonized by insurance policies that heavily penalize RHD cars due to Skylines being wrapped around trees too often.

The T5 LWB TDI AWD... this is tricky, but there are companies that will do AWD conversions on the bigger RWD-based vans. Yes, bigger than a T5, but still, workable.

The B6 Passat wagon actually is available in the North American market, and with some Euro parts and 2009 Jetta parts, a CBEA could probably be swapped into a late one.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Sorry for asking a stupid question:
Is the VW T5 Transporter available for sale in the U.S.A. ? Last I checked my dealer only has Routan.
If Russia can get the California edition we may be able to sell a lot of them here, that is an awesome looking camper with a kitchen wow !
Great idea and best thread I have read about here in a while, made my day, thanks !