Tow Vehicle

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
The Tundra is pretty much American. One driving down the street in Tokyo would result in panic, and people shouting "Godzilla! Godzilla!" :p

One of our trainers at Lexus was part of the first-gen Tundra design team. He was 100% American, I assure you, LOL. Some of the things he said.... :D
Car and Driver had a piece a few months or years back about this. They did a percentage comparison of most makes and models. The Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado had, IIRC, less than 50% of their parts made in the USA while the Tundra took the lead out of all the trucks with around 70% (again IIRC). It is probably one of those products built for a specific market, the USA. They still seem to be pretty reliable and hold resale value pretty well.

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
I am pondering the idea of Oilhammer's van at the point but still am looking for other avenues. The 200 mile commute each way will be a factor.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
How are they measuring those percentages? Item count? Weight? Volume?

It's in the first paragraph:

"By Uncle Sam’s reckoning, if  75 percent (by value) or more of a car’s parts come from the U.S. or Canada, it’s considered a domestic product; less than that, and it’s not."

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Car and Driver had a piece a few months or years back about this. They did a percentage comparison of most makes and models. The Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado had, IIRC, less than 50% of their parts made in the USA while the Tundra took the lead out of all the trucks with around 70% (again IIRC). It is probably one of those products built for a specific market, the USA. They still seem to be pretty reliable and hold resale value pretty well.
Honda Ridgeline has the highest percentage of domestic parts content at 75% and it's assembled in Alabama.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03/what-percentage-of-your-truck-is-made-in-america.html

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
I was wrong. 80% of a Tundra is made in either the US or Canada. The Silverado sits at around 60% as is the F-Series. The Dodge Ram is 70%.

It is a interesting chart to read: http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature
This would be for the Gen2 Tundra on their Texas plant which is titanic pile of crap IMO. The Gen1 Tundra was built/assembled Indiana if i remember correctly. According to Toyota 65% of the Gen1 was American/Canadian bits.

Once the Texas plant started producing the fat body Tacoma and Tundra I'd rather have a domestic model. The Gen2 Tundra has had a below average reliability rating since it was released in 07. The plant seems to spew fail.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Friend of mine just picked up a nissan Xterra to tow a ~3000 lb enclosed trailer (lots of wind drag) across the midwest for his hobby. He used to have a 2000 GMC Sonoma. He said that the Xterra did a great job wheras the sonoma was a bit challenged most of the time. They've got 260hp and most have 4x4. He got low teens for MPG's. I think his is a 2006 under 100k miles and priced in the low teens.

I think it depends on what you're looking to get out of the vehicle and what you're willing to put into it. If the main goal is inexpensive and you're willing to put some occasional love into it, then Oilhammer's van is a great choice (you can buy a lot of repairs/maintenance on that van for $5k+ difference in cost of a newer vehicle. If you want something that you'll have little maintenance/repair/upkeep costs and want a nicer vehicle, then maybe a 4Runner or similar is a good choice.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
"By Uncle Sam’s reckoning, if  75 percent (by value) or more of a car’s parts come from the U.S. or Canada, it’s considered a domestic product; less than that, and it’s not."
Ah, OK. They use dollar amount, presumably an invoice price that the manufacturer pays to suppliers. Somewhere there are nerds with Excel spreadsheets constantly tweaking costs here and there . . .

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
The main concern is the long distances of towing that will be involved. A truck will pull the boat out perfect but for the 200 mile commute I am looking for a vehicle that is comfortable, reliable, and gets good MPGs.

I was unaware of the large difference in reliability between both tundras. So the consensus is the new tundra has lots of issues and should be avoided?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
We tow our 20 foot Shamrock with a 1995 Chevy van with the 6.5 non-turbo diesel. Yes, that engine is a dinosaur that only puts out 160 horses, but it has proven very reliable. It has over 200,000 miles on it and tows like a champ. It gets up to 24 MPG on the highway, and high teens when towing. No problems at the boat ramps... But it does have a limited slip rear.

You can find Suburbans with that engine, too.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Brian, if Dave here does not buy your van, I have a relative that may be interested. I sent you a PM about it.

Last edited:

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
Thank you all for your help. I have decided to go with a truck. I am currently looking at a first generation tundra or a older F250. They are not the most ideal on gas but certainly the most ideal for pulling the boat out of water. I appreciate all your assistance in this matter.

Now for my next question. I have always been interested in straight piping a vehicle, just for fun. Does anyone know if it is legal in Missouri?