TDI in S10

jrmueller812

TDI
none
I am interested in putting a TDI in my 98 S10 5 speed. Has anyone heard of this done? There is a 2.2L in it right now so the power will probably be comprable. I will need info on adapting to my transmission, also whether or not I will need to change up my gear ratio. I also will need to get my TDI and my pickup to communicate so any insight as to what that might take will also be helpful. Im very new to the TDI stuff but am a fairly competent mechanic. The engine that I was thinking might go well is the VW 1.9L. Thanks

Last edited:

Frankendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Search the conversions forum for the TDI Ranger - very similar it would appear. I'd PM the owner and ask him things like gearing/power, etc. Great idea. I considered a diesel swap on my '89 S-10.

Where in IA are you? I'm doing a TDI swap into a minivan here in Cedar Rapids - you're more than welcome to come see it if you're in the area. I am just completing the wiring harness and getting the donor chassis prep'd. With regards to wiring, I've essentially got two independant OBDII systems running at once. Neither knows how to talk to the other, so I'm keeping them segregated. The VW ECU will control all engine functions and the Chrysler body control computer will handle all chassis related functions. The A/C I think will be controlled by the Chrysler, I'll just need to feed a discrete signal to the ECU to let it know it's on (there is an input for it - most likely to handle engine idle speed).

Travis

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
I pondered doing the same swap, but using an older S10. Acme has a VW diesel to Toyota transmission adapter, so that's what I was looking at. Just pick up a Toyota 2wd trans at a boneyard and you're set.