96 Passat wont start all of a sudden

abuzar1

TDI
B4 Passat
Crap then I think I did burn it out. Was running great then it died all of a sudden. Now if I turn the key relay 109 starts clicking like mad and car wont turn on.

I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff, I need to do more research.

This is so weird! I understand that the solenoid wire should get 12v but unless I hook that wire up to ground nothing int he car works. The mileage on the cluster shows up but no power to windows, radio, starter, etc. As soon as you hook it up to ground the car can crank the windows roll up the radio comes on. Wouldn't it be possible to diagnose bad ground by taking off the current ground wire and hooking up a new one to anywhere on the engine?

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I'm betting you have a bad body ground or main engine ground wire. The main chassis ground is under the battery - follow the negative battery cable and you should find it.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

abuzar1

TDI
B4 Passat
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to finish it off in case anyone else was searching for the same issue. It was an issue with the ground to the transmission. I replaced the ground cable and it worked great for a while. Then the car stopped starting again, this time no crank. AGAIN the ground wire was broken. This time the one under the battery tray. New cable and it was good to go again!