1999 Golf won't start

crossle32

TDI
99.5 TDI
I have a 1999 Golf. It won't start. The ASV is open and the glow plug light comes on and goes off after about 1-2 sec. In a friend's 02 Golf, there is a relay or switching sound that happens when the ignition is turned on. It sounds like it is coming from under the driver's feet or the driver's side of the firewall. Mine does not do that. There is almost no switching happening when I turn the ignition on. There seems to be fuel in the clear line but cannot tell if it is moving. I cannot "hear" a pump near the right rear passenger seat.

Any ideas??

Thanks

tdimark

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
you dont have a pump in your tank, that started in 02. does it crank and when was the TB done. i waited til 71K and when i went to start it on a cold morning it jumped one tooth(lucky for me)

crossle32

TDI
99.5 TDI
I cranks...

Don't know about the TB, I don't know the history of the motor. Motor has 130K on it. Would the engine throw a code if the timing belt skipped? I don't think so...

I have to get a manual to see what the timing is supposed to be.

I have a REALLY good code reader and get no codes.

I am versed in gas engines but the first time with a diesel.

Thanks

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
do you get 12 volts at the fuel shutoff valve? (it's the nut on the top of the injection pump near where the lines go to the injectors).

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I didn't think the VE's had lift pumps at all.

You should be able to see fuel moving through the clear line when the car is being cranked over.

So, does the car crank over? Yes = starter and relay OK

Is it getting fuel? You can crack the nut on one of your injectors and should see fuel when the car is cranked. There is a fuel cutoff solenoid. When you (or your lovely assistant) turn the ignition switch from off to on (not all the way to start) you should hear a "click" near the top of you IP. That would indicate that your cutoff is opening.

Is it getting air? You seem to have checked the ASV, so probably yes.

Also, how long has it been since you changed the:
Fuel filter? Should be done every 20K There is also a drain valve on the FF, at the bottom to release any water seperated from the fuel.
Air filter? 20K-40K depending on school of thought...

Are there any temperature issues? There is a check valve in the fuel pickup in the tank that sometimes causes issues at low temps. Search "check valve" for some how to's on remedying that.

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
The fuel pump is self priming ao it is a lift pump. How fast is it turning over? it needs to turn at around 250 rpm to start.

crossle32

TDI
99.5 TDI
It is turning pretty quick. I can't say prob about 250-300

I need to crack the injectors to make sure fuel is getting there.

Other ideas please.

Andy