A simple, basic question

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
After opening valve cover for camshaft change had some oil leakage after reassembly. Installed new gasket and still leaks. Will put on another new one, but wanted to ask if anyone had a tip for a good seal. Thanks in advance.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you for your responses. The BHW engine. I guess the cover tends to warp over time. But a gasket is so much cheaper............

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
RTV on both sides of gasket, oil the cover and the head mating surfaces before you apply. Apply a mile amount and spread it on the gasket, let it air dry for about 15 minutes, now install and tighten finger tight, after 1 hour tighten it down as speck. if that dont work, try and bend the cover back into shape or just add more rtv. dont make a mess, the oil trick keeps it from sticking to the metal surfaces but makes extra room for it to seal.