Turbo caused engine failure

Turbomeltdown

My 2005 Wagon Jetta TDI had Mobil 1 Synthetic put in at 20,000 miles, at 30,000 the Turbo blew and metal is possibly in the engine, dealer say my not using 505.01 oil they will do nothing.

The mechanics say they checked with Mobil and it cannot cause the Turbo to blow.

I get to pay $14,000 for engine and turbo, DO you believe all this?

Does anyone have an opinion on how the oil causes turbo failure? Is the turbo that weak?

Thanks,

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
sorry for your misfortune. I'm not sure how the wrong oil could cause the Turbo to blow. Are they sure this is the cause and not the effect?

Just curious, why weren't you using the 505.01 oil?

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Sorry you had the problem but this is why we use the 505.01-approved oil and why that little sticker in the engine bay says "engine damage will occur if you don't use 505.01 oil".
The question is, how do they know you used Mobile One? I'm sure you told them that and now it is too late. Maybe if it isn't documented with your VIN with VW(which I am sure it is), maybe your can extract the Mobile One, put 505,01 in it and take it to another dealer.
I know that isn't technically morally right to do and I can't believe I am saying to do it being one that preaches that kind of stuff all the time, but...................
Another idea. Where did you have the oil changed? If it was a "quick lube" place, many of them specifically ADVERTISE their oil changes are warranty-approved by all manufacturers". If that is the case, I'd be all over them for an engine. THEY put in the wrong oil.
If you put it in, you just cost yourself a bunch of $$.

You might try finding a wrecked car. Our Passat was rear-ended, totaled and I bought the car back from the insurance company for (MUCH less than your quoted price for an engine) and subsequently re-sold the car for more. Our car had virtually no engine damage from the wreck.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
NO WAY in the world it would cost 14,000 for 3 engines!!
If I were you I would get that car out of there now!!
Yes you did use the wrong Oil and the damage is your fault!!
However 14,000 is one huge RIPOFF!
You cah buy a new engine for 3500 and Labor should be no more than 1000.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
What Tomo said...............that price is crazy.
Somthing is very wrong there. I'd take it to another dealer. Like it's been said the turbo has nothing to do with the type of oil used, but that does give them an "out".

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
LOL.......
The Oil Shouldn't cause a TURBO failure although the Turbo's on our engines are prone to Failure.........
Failure to use 505.01 will cause Premature Valve Train Failure Because of the additional additive package because the camshaft drive the tthe High pressure Fuel pumps

Turbomeltdown

Help on the Turbo melt down.

To all of your response's, I thank you.
I took the care to a good mechanic auto repair here in Boulder, I think they messed up by not putting in 505 01, but the dealer is using this as to get out of the repair.
Audi says the 1.8 Turbo won't fail from this, but then again they don't make a TDI.

I smell fish in Denmark.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome, I have attorneys, insurance companies, District Attorney all involved.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Turbomeltdown said:
Audi says the 1.8 Turbo won't fail from this, but then again they don't make a TDI.
VAG=Volkswagen Audi group. Yes they do make a TDI! :cool:

In all seriousness, as someone mentioend, the 505.01 oil is to be used for its additive package for the valvetrain/injector components. I don't think I have ever read the additive package was designed FOR THE TURBO. The engine damage was a subsequent result of the turbo failure, not any direct result of using non 505.01 oil. I do not know who makes TDI turbos but I would call that manufacturer and discuss with them any specific oil requirements. I would be rasing some serious hell.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
general question

Should all Mobil 1 synthetic products (any true synthetic for that matter) be able to withstand the heat in the Turbo?

I suppose if an oil could cook inside the turbo it could cause it to seize up. Can someone explain what blows up the turbo? I thought it was overboost.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks DD. Is overboost the only way one can "blow" their turbo?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
No, turbos can fail for many different reasons. When a turbo is this new an it fails, it's likely it was a mfg defect.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, for instance, a slight imbalance in the assy causes it to shake apart when spun up to full speed before the wastegate kicks in?

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Get a lawyer, now.

Turbomeltdown said:
My 2005 Wagon Jetta TDI had Mobil 1 Synthetic put in at 20,000 miles, at 30,000 the Turbo blew and metal is possibly in the engine, dealer say my not using 505.01 oil they will do nothing.

The mechanics say they checked with Mobil and it cannot cause the Turbo to blow.

I get to pay $14,000 for engine and turbo, DO you believe all this?

Does anyone have an opinion on how the oil causes turbo failure? Is the turbo that weak?

Thanks,
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=116&did=748

I think that you will see that claiming a turbo failure was the result of non usage of 505.01 oil will not fly since the turbo does not necessarily need that oil specification.

VW (I believe) needs to prove that the turbo failure was the direct result of using the "wrong" oil. And since these turbos (correct me if I am wrong here) have not had a major redesign since they used the old oils (pre PD models) VW may have a slight conflict of interest here regarding their warranty and warranty denial.

Call me a fool, but VW probably figures that if they deny 100 people and only 3 sue, that the legal expenses will not equal the other potential costs of the 97 repairs. Bad business yes, but thats why lawyers are there.;)