BHW CPS from other engines

daught

TDI
None
I have a BHW with a damaged camshaft position sensor. It looks like there are lots of cheaper options for transversal engines. The sensor looks the same, but the wiring is shorter. I can just extend the wiring. Can someone confirm the sensors is physically the same in lets say the 2005 golf TDI BEW? BHW part# 038906433A , BEW part# 045957147B

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are pinching pennies that tight, you really should have a different car.

The correct sensor is not *that* expensive. :rolleyes:

daught

TDI
None
I did untill it got totalled, so now I'm just driving the 400k family beater until I find another 6spd Avant which are very rare. The sensor is about $80 extra. That is *too* expensive for 30 cm of wire on a car that's at the end of it's life.

daught

TDI
None
I found that the sensor is getting cut by the sprocket behind the gear. The sensor I took out was a bit loose. I got another sensor from a BEW engine in a salvage yard. The sensor is the same, but it had a slightly tighter fit. I decided to try it, and see it gets cut by the sprocket. It got cut the same way within a turn.
Notice the tabs on the left are bent back, they clear the sensor. The tabs on the right are straight and stick out a few mm further. They are the ones that cut the sensor. The car has been in the family for a long time, most maintenance has been DIY. The cam sprocket has never been taken off. Any idea what happened to the teeth? Can I just grind the teeth down?

Damaged teeth

Good teeth

Sensor

daught

TDI
None
I think it's going to be quite difficult to bend them back without removing the cam gear. Grinding should be easier. Any reason why I should not just grind them?

Also any idea what bent them out?

daught

TDI
None
I was able to bend the tabs back pretty easily. The BEW sensor works no problem. I'm pretty sure the car pulls way better with it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I think it's going to be quite difficult to bend them back without removing the cam gear. Grinding should be easier. Any reason why I should not just grind them?
Also any idea what bent them out?
because the crank sensor relies on them for reluctance ... no idea why they are bent but they bend easily