Turning in my Car Wednesday under buyback---want to remove curt hitch first

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
So I'm slated to finally turn in my car to the dealer Wednesday afternoon. I want to remove its Curt hitch I put on right after purchasing the car. I can't seem to find the right deep socket to pull off the bolts. Does anyone know this? Is it a 20 or 21mm? Thanks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What are you going to put the hitch on? I've got the U-Haul branded version and am wondering what else it will fit if I decide to do the buyback.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wouldn't think it would have all that much resale value considering all those cars being turned in and they don't cost that much new to start with.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Normally these hitches are quite vehicle-specific. It's extremely unlikely that the hitch would fit anything other than a 2011 - 2018 Jetta sedan (regardless of engine). Unless I were buying another 2011-2018 Jetta sedan to replace it, or had a buyer already lined up (know someone with the same car who wants a hitch), I wouldn't put more than 10 minutes of effort into removing it and that includes the time to look for the tools. Not worth the time, not worth having a lump of metal sitting around in the shop for years waiting to possibly never find a buyer.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Normally these hitches are quite vehicle-specific. It's extremely unlikely that the hitch would fit anything other than a 2011 - 2018 Jetta sedan (regardless of engine). Unless I were buying another 2011-2018 Jetta sedan to replace it, or had a buyer already lined up (know someone with the same car who wants a hitch), I wouldn't put more than 10 minutes of effort into removing it and that includes the time to look for the tools. Not worth the time, not worth having a lump of metal sitting around in the shop for years waiting to possibly never find a buyer.
Brian P.: Obviously not a hoarder.:D

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
What are you going to put the hitch on? I've got the U-Haul branded version and am wondering what else it will fit if I decide to do the buyback.
I am taking the buyback but I plan to acquire another one that VW has brought into compliance and stuck back on a dealer lot. So the hitch I remove, I'm planning to reuse on a slightly newer model. I haven't got the socket I need. I'm going to do that today. It's such a cold day to be forced to do that, but my buyback is tomorrow after work. It's -4F right now.

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! Someone else who hasn't taken the fix or buyback? I thought there were few of us left! In fact, I got an email from VW Claims stating that my buyback appointment will not be with a rep from VW, but rather through video conferencing. In my mind, that means that there aren't enough owners opting for this at this late stage, to justify the need for them to have a rep available at the time of buyback.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wow! Someone else who hasn't taken the fix or buyback? I thought there were few of us left! In fact, I got an email from VW Claims stating that my buyback appointment will not be with a rep from VW, but rather through video conferencing. In my mind, that means that there aren't enough owners opting for this at this late stage, to justify the need for them to have a rep available at the time of buyback.
I'll probably schedule the fix for March or April. I haven't convinced her that a 5 year newer car with 100k less miles is a good buy even at a few grand out of pocket. We will be doing a lot of yard work this spring, patio and deck, so that extra $5000 may come in handy.