13/14 Fixed Passats - ANY ISSUES?

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Planning to cash our 13 SE in (buyback), and pick up another 13/14 (lower mileage and SEL). Just curious if anyone has had any post modification issues with their "fixed" 13 or 14 (DSG trans)?

I have only read about the issues associated with the tried to fix MANUAL trans Passat's.

thanks,

Kirk

LubeITMan

TDI
2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI SEL Premium
Hey I’ve got a 2012 SEL TDI with DSG. Got the emissions fix done about 6 months ago or so and have had no issues with it. The day I drove it home the DEF warning came on that it was low and I had xxx miles before the vehicle would be disabled so I contacted the dealer and told them. They had me drive it back to check it out and by the time I got to the dealer the warning was gone. Zero issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
12-14 are the same (slight changes only) 15 gets the new engine and is quite desirable :)

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
It has been a few years since I drove my '12, but I feel my post fix '14 does lug the engine a little bit more. I'm adapting to move to the triptronic gate or Sport mode when necessary. Considering I bought the '14 with the fix done (nearly a year before) I cannot comment on the car beforehand, but the driveability is still okay. For a true TDI Enthusiest (like yourself and I) I do not see a big issue with a '14 vs a '15. The real differences with warranty vs engine and DSG have been covered many times in the past month even, but I'm not unhappy with mine (I am still happy at this point). Also, I'm not saying anyone else ISN'T a true enthusiest.

The AdBlue level issues I'm not certain cross the '15 line. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I have a '12 SE DSG and have been seeing a NOx sensor code on mine consistently since getting the "fix". The CEL only comes on when we take the car on a highway trip. Around town we get no light. No apparent difference in DEF usage on the car either.

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
I got a CEL code P2457, as a couple of people here have had, about 5,000 miles after the fix. Dealer replaced the heater core under the warranty. Otherwise, I noticed the shift points are different and I'm only losing less than 2 MPG. No significant increase in DEF consumption that I can notice.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
'14 passat tdi sel 62,800 miles. Bought 9/15/17 at 50k, LOVE it. Only a couple minor issues - heater core under extension and water pump under powertrain. I occasionally manually shift when its cold, but i do the same thing with my '13 beetle tdi also DSG.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you're getting your current car bought back, I'd suggest you find your replacement car at a price you want before the buy back.

Also If I were you I'd be willing to spend a little extra if you find a nicer '15 compared to a 13/14. Going up to a '15 SEL was a reason the wife could see her self driving the "same" car for 10-12 years.

Biggest thing I've seen for issues is coolant related due to increased EGR, as noted by failed heater cores. Other than that no other major issues that your current '13 is already at risk to.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Another vote for the 2015. 2012-2014 was when VW was ironing kinks out of the 2.0 TDI. 2015 was the year they perfected it.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Yes indeed, another voice to the chorus of go with a 15. Drives far better than our 13 did.
And, if this is any indicaiton, we've had nary a squeeze, rattle or any issue in the first 12K miles with the massively huge improvement in start off lack of turbo lag and less nannied wheel spin.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Had the fix done on my somewhat higher mileage 12 just over a year ago now. Fix done at 119.8K miles, now has 135.5K miles. No issues after the fix save for some relearning to my driving style that caused a short term fuel economy drop. After that sorted itself after a couple of weeks, it's been fine save for a (probably unrelated) potentially failing injector causing some noise now.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Appreciate all the feedback - will see if I can get into a 15 SEL in our budget.

thanks

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Got the fix done a few weeks ago on my 13 and already racked a few thousand miles. I seriously have noticed no changes whatsoever. So if the 15 doesnt fit the budget... do a steve miller and take the money and run!

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
14 Passat SE TDI

I had the fix about a year ago. I have noticed very little difference in handling or mileage. Hope that helps.
Mike

Planning to cash our 13 SE in (buyback), and pick up another 13/14 (lower mileage and SEL). Just curious if anyone has had any post modification issues with their "fixed" 13 or 14 (DSG trans)?

I have only read about the issues associated with the tried to fix MANUAL trans Passat's.

thanks,

Kirk

dborja

TDI
I got a CEL code P2457, as a couple of people here have had, about 5,000 miles after the fix. Dealer replaced the heater core under the warranty. Otherwise, I noticed the shift points are different and I'm only losing less than 2 MPG. No significant increase in DEF consumption that I can notice.

I just got another CEL last month - P026A. They checked for leaks (milky substance on the pan and lines) and found none. They ended up replacing the intercooler pump (? I may be using the wrong part name - my service receipt is at home).

I'm getting a little concerned about what could be next and after the extended warranty expires. I wonder if I have recourse using the lemon law-like provision in the settlement to do a buyback?

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I just got another CEL last month - P026A. They checked for leaks (milky substance on the pan and lines) and found none. They ended up replacing the intercooler pump (? I may be using the wrong part name - my service receipt is at home).

I'm getting a little concerned about what could be next and after the extended warranty expires. I wonder if I have recourse using the lemon law-like provision in the settlement to do a buyback?
? Why? You got lots of compensation, you got and extended warranty and the only parts in question are parts that can be modified once the car leaves the warranty (and you can go back and find a quality guru that wont throw parts at an issue). Plenty of people here have racked up a lot of miles without issue. Getting a cel code thrown every once in a while is gonna happen.

Cost per mile on this car is already lower than my MKIV because of the compensation. Playing with the house's money.

dborja

TDI
? Why? You got lots of compensation, you got and extended warranty and the only parts in question are parts that can be modified once the car leaves the warranty (and you can go back and find a quality guru that wont throw parts at an issue). Plenty of people here have racked up a lot of miles without issue. Getting a cel code thrown every once in a while is gonna happen.
Cost per mile on this car is already lower than my MKIV because of the compensation. Playing with the house's money.
I am not trying to milk the system. My point is that, until the fix, our Passat has been trouble-free. Now, two CELs within a few months of the fix. We fully intended to keep this car for a long time - that's why we went for the fix. I understand that things wear out anyway but, as pointed out, a lot of people have gone without issue after a lot of miles so why not on this car? My simple non-technician observation is that the failed items indicate elevated temperatures after the fix. The compensation is not free money IMHO - it's an advance for after-warranty repairs. This may be viewed as playing with house money but we simply wanted a trouble-free keeper car for our long work commute distance and we would have gladly forgone the compensation.

Please, I don't want to start a flame war. Having said my peace, I will refrain from further responses.

yellowfella

TDI
Passat
hi everyone, newbie here.. i have 2003 passat 1.9 tdi sport model.. i recently changed the rear lower track control arm but i did not noticed the sleeve that goes into the hub.. i know you cant buy them separately so i have been to a vw breakers yard but found none.. has anyone come across that problem on here or any help would be appreciated..thanks

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
hi everyone, newbie here.. i have 2003 passat 1.9 tdi sport model.. i recently changed the rear lower track control arm but i did not noticed the sleeve that goes into the hub.. i know you cant buy them separately so i have been to a vw breakers yard but found none.. has anyone come across that problem on here or any help would be appreciated..thanks
Unfortunately you are asking the wrong group of people.

This particular forum is dedicated to the 2012 and newer Passat which is a completely different animal from your 2003.

You should ask this question in the B5 forum.