Blend door repair

aracoma1

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI BEW
Does anybody recommend a good mechanic to fix my blend door on my 2004 Jetta TDI in the Alabama or Atlanta area? My vents have been spitting out tons of foam, and have a feeling I won't have heat this winter.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Does anybody recommend a good mechanic to fix my blend door on my 2004 Jetta TDI in the Alabama or Atlanta area? My vents have been spitting out tons of foam, and have a feeling I won't have heat this winter.
Richard55. Highly recommended.
I just got done with that job and boy is it nice! It only took me forever to finish though!

aracoma1

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI BEW
I have taken out my center console for cleaning, and removed the glove box. The DIY seems to make it seem like I simply take out the radio, and carefully push the controls out of the bottom. Then I will have access to the heater box and the blend door inside? My worry is if the heater box can be opened without breaking it, and if I would have enough access not taking out the dash. I feel many mechanics would rather try to sell me a heater core job with a new heater box rather than fix it with tape

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
You're not going to be able to a good through job without removing the entire dash and HVAC unit. That's how I always do it anyway. It's a $350 job, that will give you something to compare to at least.

If you plan on doing it yourself allow a whole day to do the work, best if you have a helper, goes faster.

Cheers,
Ben

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
$350 is a very decent price for this job. I have helped one guy do the job, and not being pros, it took us 11 hours or so.

If I can find someone to do mine (like Richard 55, who I heartily endorse) then I would pay them.

Has anyone seen a link or thread on creating a hole in the HVAC box to do the job? I seem to remember a reference to that recently. In fact I have an HVAC box out of a wreck thrown under the shed to practice on, in case I wanted to do just that.

It seems to me that there are in fact 3 doors that need to be re-covered, not just one.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
New Beetle hack repair video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UswcVaEsME

New Beetle optional access to temperature control door (only one of the 3).
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-mem...nd-doors-out-removing-complete-dash-assy.html

I must say that the repair that TerryTDI did on his doors (that I helped with) was a much higher quality repair, and we did all 3 doors. One that selects between recirc and outside air. One that blends or selects temperature, and one that selects exit paths. But it took a long time for us to do. This was on a Mk IV Jetta. Since Terry is by nature meticulous and careful, he did not break any tabs or plastic parts.

I know that Richard55 has done this job on one or two MkIV New Beetles, and last I knew, he was not eager to do anymore.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
just did the "shortcut" blend door repair yesterday on a jetta ... took just under 3 hours ... i disagree that you can't do a good job with the dash in place ... i used hvac foil tape and it turned out great.... the alternative means breaking into the cooling system and the ac system... way too much time/money for such a simple repair

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
just did the "shortcut" blend door repair yesterday on a jetta ... took just under 3 hours ... i disagree that you can't do a good job with the dash in place ... i used hvac foil tape and it turned out great.... the alternative means breaking into the cooling system and the ac system... way too much time/money for such a simple repair
Good to know it can be done, guess I'll investigate it on my next blend door job. Although come to think of it the next job is a heater core replacement, so I'll have to pull the HVAC unit anyway. Oh well, at least I can try to see how you did it while still in the car.

Were you able to do both sides of the doors and remove all the old foam?

Thanks,
Ben

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Good to know it can be done, guess I'll investigate it on my next blend door job. Although come to think of it the next job is a heater core replacement, so I'll have to pull the HVAC unit anyway. Oh well, at least I can try to see how you did it while still in the car.
Were you able to do both sides of the doors and remove all the old foam?
Thanks,
Ben
yeah i was able to get all the old foam off both sides of the blend doors ... it took some time sticking my fingers through the holes and rubbing the old foam and film off.... i used laquer thinner to clean the doors before applying the tape ... i could only access one side of the blend doors to apply the tape but this is sufficient to make the repair ... the car now has cold ac and hot heat ... most difficult part of the job is removing/replacing the front plenum for final blend door access .... take time to study how it is affixed before reinstalling

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Just took apart dash and all recently and it was a pain. I like jimbote's method.
It was fun seeing it apart and learning the ins and outs but lets say it was not easy getting back together!

My car was apart for weeks and I was driving with no dash, etc.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Yeah Dan and I consumed a whole day pulling the dash out on my car a couple years ago, unfortunately we had to remove the dash do to a faulty heater core. I think we both said we would never do that again ( however if Dan needed his done and decided to do it I would gladly help ). It was a real PITA! If you can get away with just repairing the door like Jimbote is recommending then that's the way to go.

If somebody would do the job pulling the dash to do it for $350 then that is a real bargain! If you have the dash out might as well swap out the heater core while you're in there.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
My daughter's 2016 Golf air blend door making a noise when ever changed. Replaced under warranty and the bill totalled some $3000.00 if one had to pay for it. BS

RobertT

TDI
00, 01,02 beetles, 02 Jetta...flipped and totaled.04 Passat BHW
Heater box repair.

I have done three of them so far. It takes me about 2 days, and I replace the heater core and evaporator both. It's about $100 in parts, plus getting the ac charged up. I charge $800, but its not a fun time.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
noted for future work
I have had tiny bits of foam but its hasn't been blowing out every time , I'm with terry, a pay job for sure
heads up Jimmy:D