Need advice before buying 2010 Golf

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
So I am going to look at a 2010 Golf tomorrow and wanted to know what I should look at before I think about purchasing it. As far as I know it is a manual with all the options except leather and gps. I was told that it has around 20,000 miles. This would be my first VW and diesel purchase. Just wanted to know if I should be looking at anything in peticular.

Thanks

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
A 2010 with only 20,000. Sweet. Ask to see all service records from new. But at that mileage there shouldn't be many service records. :D Should of just had it's 2nd oil and filter or is due for the second after you purchase. Is it a private or dealership sale ?

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
It's a small private dealership. I would assume around 20,000 miles that it is almost like new wear wise. Records will be asked for.

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
I bought a 2010 Golf myself, but it had 90k miles. 15k miles later, purrs like a kitten. Recommend a chip to round out the fun...

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
have someone look the car over for you specifically looking for signs of flood damage. it wont always show up in carfax. in the 101 section there is a list of trusted guru's but any good shop should have a prebuy inspection item. Specifically ask to have the fuel filter top removed to check for metal specks and ask the car lot if they changed the oil and what oil they used. they probably have the wrong oil in it.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I am having my uncle come with me and we will both be looking it over. I will look at the fuel filter. I found out that the car is a one owner that was traded in. Bought brand new.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
If your lucky they didn't even mess with it, Because like stated above, they probably used the incorrect oil.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
I bought a 2010 with 16K on it last year. I'd have the oil changed after you buy it, use the same stuff VW uses and you're gold. Aside from oil, I cant think of much. Pretty much everything should feel like it's new.

20K miles is NOTHING for one of these cars and it should ride like a brand new car. Mine still does and I've thrown another 27K miles on it!

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
I missed this a few days back... Did you get the car?

also, unless they removed the option later on, leather never was an option on Golf TDI's in the US only on Golf R's and on GTI Autobahn Edition cars (or Canadian Highline TDI)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
This car, most likely bought in 2011, should still have some warranty left also. So, time to take it in for the 20K VW service.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I did buy the car. It has a little of the factory warranty left. The previous owner just had it in for service. Car is great. I still have to get use to the 6 speed. I can drive it fine just not as well as I know I ca. Thanks for all the advice as well.

Dim Sum

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT Tech 4 Door, 2011 F-350
The 6MT, the clutch, and the engine's immediate shutdown if you bring RPMs too low took a month for me to get used to. Once it starts to go, there's no saving the stall condition by throwing in the clutch.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
The 6MT, the clutch, and the engine's immediate shutdown if you bring RPMs too low took a month for me to get used to. Once it starts to go, there's no saving the stall condition by throwing in the clutch.
I had no trouble in normal driving. The only spot that gave me trouble initially was the "hill hold assist". But I think it is because it felt weird and made me change the way I tried to drive. Once I realized, you just use the hold and drive as if you were on flat ground, my problems went away.

My last car was also a 6 speed, but it was much more difficult to drive... I actually thought this was by far one of the easiest to drive manuals I have owned.

I have owned serveral:
86 Mazda B2000 - manual and no power steering nor power brakes, sucky combination not fun to drive at all, esp at low speeds; however, I was the first of my friends to turn 16, and it was all I could afford, so still a blast all in all

99 Civic - long travel clutch pedal, but with a very short clutch engagment, made it a bit tricky, esp on hills.

07 Cayman S - a bit heavy of clutch, but accellerating was so fun, I didnt care, lots of fun, got really tiring during my ~25 mile commute in Houston traffic

13 Golf TDI - actually the easiest of any car to drive by a pretty significant margin of my past manuals, esp to drive on a daily basis dealing with traffic.

Last edited:

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I admit that I have killed it a few times while in first. Idk why but I'm still getting use to the car. I'm sure in a few weeks it will be secind nature for me to drive it.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I admit that I have killed it a few times while in first. Idk why but I'm still getting use to the car. I'm sure in a few weeks it will be secind nature for me to drive it.
LOL. Had mine for a little over three years. Always had a manual and this clutch took a little while to get used to. Second nature now, but every now and then, I'll stall it ( yes, its still embarrassing). :D

Congrats on the new TDI. Still loving mine.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
If I stall my car, its almost always pulling away from a drive thru. Not entirely sure why, but 9 times out of ten that's where i screw it up!