My B5 TDI Wagon trans wont SHIFT!!

rubengti

TDI
MK2 mk2TD, MK4TDI, B5 TDI
My PASSAT 2005 TDI Wagon with a 2.0 engine was been working fine and well maintained till today!!! After driving through some slight uphill mountains I noticed a some kick back from the transmission and suddenly the transmission is in one only gear will not shift Neither when moved to manual position. It does go to neutral revers and parking. Also the cluster trans indicator seems like when you put key to crank the engine.

I hope it’s a computer thing or something that could be fixed without spending thousands of dollar. Please someone help me please!!!:confused:

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Sounds like it went into limp mode. Needs to be diagnosed by a tech familial with a vag-com. The codes will tell what's wrong.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
It does sound like limp mode. When putting it in gear, does it jerk real hard and then when starting out it is real sluggish? If so you need to check out the TCM. Check to see if the carpet is wet on the front passenger floor board. Usually they get ruined by water from blocked sunroof drains or fresh air vent seal leaking.

rubengti

TDI
the trans doesn’t jerk that much! Ill drive the car to a Good vw shop and hopefully they will scan it and give the GOOD or BAD news!!! I just hope its not catastrophic because local VW TDI are crap so I imported this beauty from FL because my wife’s mk4 also TDI had its trans twice repaired. And left our budget in bad shape!!! Thanks a million for the god INFO.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
FYI, if the shop tries to scan the TCU and it will not scan, check to make sure all fuses are good first and if so, then it is toast and you will need a new one.

rubengti

TDI
Just noticed this morning on may way to the shop the trans had no indications at all!!! like nothing happened. Bur half way it went to "limp " mode. so i have explained this to the mechanic and he should be calling me some time today. Hopefully with good news!!!

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Check the drivers carpet for water, it sounds like your TCM maybe a little wet. The tcm is located under the drivers carpet

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Check that. TCM is under passenger carpet. CCM is under driver's carpet

rubengti

TDI
I had to leave sleeping overnight at the shop wagon since the mechanic did mention he installed the scanner and the trans computer gave him some two trans codes that he rebooted!! or Erased But the car needed to be test drive to have it rescanned and hope the mode for which it was brought in docent pop up again He did mention something about the Converter pump or some kind of important hydraulic pump that suffered in similar cases and were to be replaced.

I am praying tonight that tomorrow morning the mechaninc won’t tell me about bringing down the trans because the car would have to be sold!!! I can’t afford to spend 3,000.00 in overhauling the trans since just recently we spent 2,000.00 on the MK4 TDI trans overhaul.

rubengti

TDI
My Friends the Doctors diagnostic is BAD!!! apparently the trans has some internal problem and this Master Mechanic will work on various external procedures like trans oil pan to verify if any contaminants are in the oil and so on.

This master GURU which sometimes receives bad repairs done by the Volkswagen itself dealers his an extremely detailed technician but is not the dealer.

My 2005 B5 TDI Wagon has over 1500.000 miles and has no factory warranty. So I am at this moment in the dilemma of leaving the car with this Guy or take it to the VW Authorized Dealership/shop and have VW fix it because prisewise this Master GURU charges as high as the VW Dealership.
So what if anyone has had this terrible situation please let me know what to do!!!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Get a detailed quote of what both will do and parts to be replaced and compare. Usually the independent shop will do more than the dealer. Also ask for warranty from both. I think VW offers a 12 month warranty.

I have a local shop I use that gives a 2 year warranty and uses all ZF parts when rebuilding.

rubengti

TDI
Thanks a million for your good replay since the independent shop is still working on all the symptoms trying to not bring down the trans!!! Like I mentioned VW concessionary when they blow it in warranty this guy ends up cleaning their act!!!

I have to get into the warrantees comparison tomorrow but my only problem with this guy is that he is like a Doctor extremely technical maybe exaggerating a little but also expensive as HELL!!! Till know only working surfacelie with the problem is a roughly $5,000.00 + USD that was till this morning. only two days in the shop

I should had guessed when I walked in the shop only new AUDI;s and some VW/ BWM my car was the only old 2005 antique.

rubengti

TDI
Sorry for the mistake its 500.00 USD not the 5,000.00. thats what it will probably end up costing me. I God please help me

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
pray to the lord to force you do some regular maintenance while you own this beauty,
I don't know if you replaced with new transmission filter and fluid when you bought it,
god punished you for not taking care of the car..

rubengti

TDI
Who knows if this god is punishing me for being a nightly bad boy!!! But ironically these car is new for me I imported it from FL U.S and was in relative good shape.

I knew little of the cars maintenance history and its been well maintained since I had it. I think I won the jackpot with this economically with this car because. I just hope the repair of the trans on a B5 wont cost me an arm a and a leg or twice of what a just paid a couple of month ago with MK4 TDI.

rubengti

TDI
I meant of what i paid for the repair of my wife's 2004 MK4 TDI trans that also went down under!!! just 4 month ago :(

rubengti

TDI

I own a VW 2005 Passat FWD 2.0L SOCH TDI with trans problems since I was already quoted by the VW Dealership and you wouldn’t want to imagine the outrageous $$$ and just recently had a terrible experience on a MK4 TDI Automatic Trans overhaul I would rather try to find a Rebuilt or New Trans for the Passat.

Would anyone know where to find one of these trans for a reasonable price!!! Also since I am going to do this investment would there be any upgrades for this kind of trans?

The cars VIN: WVWCE63B55E154311 VW Dealership trans P/N 01V300053BX .

Appreciate any help to this matter.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I pulled mine for a 5 speed manual swap. I can have a local shop rebuild it (VERY competent) and sell it to you. I can ask what he would charge.

rubengti

TDI
Hello my friend

You may have made my day if this shop of you could sell me your trans even better if they could rebuilt it for a reasonable price. What was the problem on your trans and year or other specs sine my Passat Wagon is a 2005 2.0 TDI.

I hope something good happens after all the crap I’ve goon through with my VW’ TDI’s since my older TD with manual trans have lasted forever!!!

Best regards
Ruben

zunivw

Banned
TDI
04' 5.5, 03' jetta gl, 02'jetta gls, 01'beetle gls
rebuilt trans

Try European Transmissions in Goergia near Atlanta I believe. I think around $2000 for a rebuilt dyno tested unit with upgrades and new Torque converter.

rubengti

TDI
Would anyone else know where to have these trans taken care by professionals that won't rip me off.. If that’s not much to ask for.

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
The exact same thing happen to my B5.5 at 135,000 miles on 10/11 and it's still in the vw dealer because I am 76 anos and having a hard time getting the dinero $4000. I called VWOA customer service and complained ,they gave me a voucher for $1500 so now I owe $2500 .Before the tranny went bad I ask about it at the dealer and they always said that it is sealed for life. I also have 05 jetta wagon tdi that don't give any problems.So far with the passat I had the TB change,BSM, CV axle and so many other things,plus I bought them brand new.

rubengti

TDI
Hey appreciate your response and it seems like you know some Spanish, “muy bien” My life is terribly miserable with my VW” TDI’s the MK4 and B5 have had BAD Trans expect that the Jetta was cheap to have it repaired. I have a similar situation with the Passat TDI Wagon which the Dealer an authorized Shop quoted me $5,500.00 USD to replace my trans with a factory overhauled trans.

I am in the search in the US of where to purchase one of these factory overhauled trans for anything less, since I imported this baby from Miami FL down to Puerto Rico and the dame car didn’t last 6 month!!!

Appreciate any suggestions on the topic.

Regards
Ruben