Diesel Intake Cleaner

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
The concept is definitely there. I would be willing to run it on my Jetta, but I would be scared of running crap like that with a DPF.

When I get ready to pull my intake manifold and get it vatt'd, I'll pick up a can of this and run it through.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's probably rebadged oven cleaner lol and I pressume you would still have to take the manifold off?

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
Spray down the throttle while the engine is at 2000 RPM eh? Never mind.

I'll just take the intake off and have it vatt'd.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It's probably rebadged oven cleaner lol and I pressume you would still have to take the manifold off?
It would never be oven cleaner. Oven cleaners typically contain lye, aka sodium hydroxide, and will dissolve aluminum and its alloys. Oven cleaner will eat holes in an intake manifold and/or head since VW uses aluminum alloys for these parts.

Vertexboy

TDI
2001 Beatle
Easy Off

My local vw dealer sells a kit for intake removal. It includes all gaskets reqd and a can of easy off oven cleaner. Didnt work well sent it out for steaming.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
this product is intended for light build up that has not solidified yet. it will be a waste with crap the ALH intake tracts accumulate

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I would have to agree with this. Not going to be helpful on a car that has never had the intake manifold cleaned in 180k miles and in fact might be harmful by loosening carbon and then sending into the engine ports. I don't really think a diesel engine should really be ingesting anything except air and whatever comes through a normally operating intake.

this product is intended for light build up that has not solidified yet. it will be a waste with crap the ALH intake tracts accumulate

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I never clicked on any of the links in this Thread. But, I can tell you one thing for sure, if a "chunk" of that Crud breaks off and goes into a cylinder(s) you will most likely be pulling the head!

You don't need a kit to remove the Intake and clean it! The Intake Gasket can be reused numerous times without any worries of it leaking!

For those who have removed an Intake, you know there's a lot of scraping, gouging, brushing, looking, more of the same, etc., to clean it out.

There are several Theads on Intake cleaning! For those not restricted due to local laws/ordinances, the Burn out method works well. Of course, that method also requires the use of other means to finish up! No, you will not generate enough heat to warp/melt the Intake!

Unless time is an issue, after burning out, any strong cleanser such as Power Cleaner, Awesome, etc., can be used to finish up. I have a cap-off plate that I bolt on the EGR end of the Intake. Then I pour in a mix of my favorite cleaner......let it sit for about 4 days. That soak typically loosens 99% of what's been left after the burn!

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I would have to agree with this. Not going to be helpful on a car that has never had the intake manifold cleaned in 180k miles and in fact might be harmful by loosening carbon and then sending into the engine ports. I don't really think a diesel engine should really be ingesting anything except air and whatever comes through a normally operating intake.
180k miles and still running that has never had the intake manifold cleaned I don't think so. BG products had something about the same.Back in 2003 had it done to my golf. It was about 80% clogged at 42k miles.They spray the stuff thru the intake while the motor was running it took about 15mins, changed the oil and was good to go(also did a EGR delete after wards). It completely clean it! Since than all I have read about stuff like this is how harmful it is to do it like that.
The Golf now has 169,000 miles on it and still running strong! With no major repairs. Oh yeah the TT Tuning down pipe did crack and drop down at 164,000 miles maybe I shouldn't have done that type intake back at 42k miles:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I never clicked on any of the links in this Thread. But, I can tell you one thing for sure, if a "chunk" of that Crud breaks off and goes into a cylinder(s) you will most likely be pulling the head!

You don't need a kit to remove the Intake and clean it! The Intake Gasket can be reused numerous times without any worries of it leaking!

For those who have removed an Intake, you know there's a lot of scraping, gouging, brushing, looking, more of the same, etc., to clean it out.

There are several Theads on Intake cleaning! For those not restricted due to local laws/ordinances, the Burn out method works well. Of course, that method also requires the use of other means to finish up! No, you will not generate enough heat to warp/melt the Intake!

Unless time is an issue, after burning out, any strong cleanser such as Power Cleaner, Awesome, etc., can be used to finish up. I have a cap-off plate that I bolt on the EGR end of the Intake. Then I pour in a mix of my favorite cleaner......let it sit for about 4 days. That soak typically loosens 99% of what's been left after the burn!

How do you clean the head? Take it off after it clogs up 100%?

Last edited:

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
My local vw dealer sells a kit for intake removal. It includes all gaskets reqd and a can of easy off oven cleaner. Didnt work well sent it out for steaming.

Of course, the Easy Off oven cleaner wouldn't work well: it is mostly lye, and I would expect it to attack the metal vigorously, but since the crud has no veggie oil type materials in it, I'd expect it to have no effect whatever on the crud buildup.

But the gaskets would be useful.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
How do you clean the head? Take it off after it clogs up 100%?

Wow! I apologize for not responding to your question (almost 2 years :eek:).

Well, before my comments and since, I've removed a number of Intakes for cleaning. And, I have also commented on the procedure in a number of other Threads.

Here are concerns that a I have mentioned:

• Just removing the Intake involves a risk of breaking loose a piece of flakey crud at the intake port of the head,,,, then falling into the cylinder if the valve is open (< more on that below)
  • Burning out an Intake requires close inspection to make sure there are not any chunks left behind that might fall off a few thousand miles later.
  • Attempting to clean the ports in the head without proper tools and patience.
Dealing with the Intake Ports of the head, I remove the valve cover to observe the position of the Intake Cam Lobes to make sure all Intake Valves are closed. Then I replace the valve cover to keep out debris.

I use a special fabricated tool (made it myself) for scraping out the ports in the head, as well as a shop vacuum with a specialty adapter on the end, and compressed air.

Lastly, since the vast majority of crud accumulation is in the Intake, it is highly unlikely that the Intake Ports in the Head will become 100% clogged, ever.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... since the vast majority of crud accumulation is in the Intake, it is highly unlikely that the Intake Ports in the Head will become 100% clogged, ever.
While I agree that this is generally the case, there are still many times where accumulations around the valve stem and top of the valve do occur. I'm going to be looking into doing this cleaning job to at least 3 that are living at my house in the next few months.

It is interesting to note that direct injection gas engines are having the same difficulties with intake clogging due to EGR.

Cheers,

PH