Hey locals... pump rebuild & info thread

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Victim: 2000 VW Golf TDI GLS with 160,000mi on the odometer.

Issue: Injection pump is beginning to loose prime and bubbles in the clear fuel line.

Solution:
Diesel Fuel Injection Services in Portland for a 10mm pump rebuild for roughly $600 if everything checks out okay.

Dilema: I've heard that if the pump dies or needs a complete rebuild - while the pump is removed from the car, it's worth the time, energy, & money to replace the timing belt and water pump etc...

I have a buddy just down the street (and a wicked good TDI mechanic and forum member) who is willing to help me remove and reinstall the pump. Drivebywire (Pete) performed my last TB at around 80K with DieselGeek 100K replacement belt.

So should I bite the bullet - remove the IP, timing belt and other necessities, then reinstall my 'new Bosch factory serviced' 10mm pump?

If you have read this much - please feel free to comment or suggest other avenues. 11mm? Sure! but I'm not sure I could front the money. :(

TIA.
michael.

picture for fun:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I, with HUGE help from fixumrich, replaced my used 10mm with a 11mm DFIS built unit in about 45 min at a GTG without the need of doing the whole TB.

It's not for the novice or faint at heart but it can be done without doing a whole TB job.

The answer will probably lie on how long it will take you to drive the "last" 20k. IMO, if under a year, do now. If over a year, do later.... assuming a reasonable labor rate on the "pump only" install.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I totally second what bearing said just above.

if you can get a 11 mm pump for not too much then go for it. Also contact Rich as he may have an in on a rebuilt pump from DFS.

If I read your post correctly, I assume you got 80k on your timing belt now - no question in my mind. Bite the bullit and get a new TB kit. You can get it changed by Fix Um Rich at the upcoming GTG in Portland.

Just get the pump (or rebuilt from DFS) and the timing belt kit and sign up here to get it installed

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=248544

michael. said:
Victim: 2000 VW Golf TDI GLS with 160,000mi on the odometer.

Issue: Injection pump is beginning to loose prime and bubbles in the clear fuel line.

Solution:
Diesel Fuel Injection Services in Portland for a 10mm pump rebuild for roughly $600 if everything checks out okay.

Dilema: I've heard that if the pump dies or needs a complete rebuild - while the pump is removed from the car, it's worth the time, energy, & money to replace the timing belt and water pump etc...

I have a buddy just down the street (and a wicked good TDI mechanic and forum member) who is willing to help me remove and reinstall the pump. Drivebywire (Pete) performed my last TB at around 80K with DieselGeek 100K replacement belt.

So should I bite the bullet - remove the IP, timing belt and other necessities, then reinstall my 'new Bosch factory serviced' 10mm pump?

If you have read this much - please feel free to comment or suggest other avenues. 11mm? Sure! but I'm not sure I could front the money. :(

TIA.
michael.

picture for fun:

Last edited:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
If you are mechanically inclined it's very possible to pull your pump and rebuild it yourself. However, do some research and be careful as it is possible to make costly mistakes. If you are not skilled with mechanical things let DIS do the hard stuff. Have Rich, Justin, or some other skilled mechanic do the R&R.

I plan to do my own, when necessary. I have a spare sitting on my work bench now. I was all set to have it installed by Justin when my pump stopped leaking thanks to the fact that I went back to B99.

If you have or plan to do mods that will go beyond your stock pumps capacity get the bigger pump and try to wait until it's time to do your TB. I'd likely do that a little early. I did my last TB at 55K. No sense in taking unnecessary chances.

Last edited:

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Just spoke w/ Rich @ FixUm - he also recommended doing my lifters...

He's in Oregon and I'm in Tacoma, WA... so I need to figure out if I can garage it up here for a few days while DFIS rebuilds or if I reeaally need to drive south for Rich or Justin (but then the labor costs $$ which my garage time here is free!)

michael.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
michael. said:
...Dilema: I've heard that if the pump dies or needs a complete rebuild - while the pump is removed from the car, it's worth the time, energy, & money to replace the timing belt and water pump etc...

So should I bite the bullet - remove the IP, timing belt and other necessities, then reinstall my 'new Bosch factory serviced' 10mm pump?....
Michael,

Short answer, yes. I did a full TB on my '02 @ 65k miles when I decided to swap in my 11mm pump (Justin did the wrenching). If you are at or approaching 80k on your TB, why not knock it all out now (water pump too) and be done with it for 100k?

I had DFIS go through my 11mm before install and it came back looking like new. Been in for around 8k, no complaints. Good luck.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
After a few days of planning, I decided to remove just the pump. DFIS has agreed to overhaul the pump in one day, assuming I can get the pump there by 8am :D:D:(.

Plan is to remove it this weekend, leave for Portland about 6am on Monday morning, and hopefully return back to Tacoma that evening w/ a 'fresh' pump.

About $600 for a complete rebuild assuming everything checks out fine, plus labor costs for removal & installation of the pump (TBD ;)).

I will do the timing belt and lifters when I have more time & money.
michael.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
FlyTDI Guy said:
It will... :D
And it did :):):D. Thanks Pat (FlyTDI Guy). If you know Pat - you know what I'm talking about. He is an good friend and an amazing TDI wrencher.

I owe him big time. Pump removal (Pat), pump overhaul (DFIS), & pump re-install (Pat)... and everything is happy.

michael.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Amazing might just be an overstatement... ya think??? It was my pleasure. It's always rewarding helping someone out w/a project. Gives me a chance to rationalize my tool expenditures and further reason to buy more.

Just as an FYI, I don't know which SMF flywheel he was using but the TDC marking was abysmal. My poor aging eyes couldn't even see it at all. It was one of the bigger annoyances we faced. Fortunately, there are several ways to determine TDC and, by law of averages, we came out all right.

Glad your happy and always a pleasure to help out a fellow TDI-guy...