Official Spotted thread

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
OhMagoo said:
Reflex silver one Bill? blacked out centre pillars?
and yes, it's dropped a bit, but Eibachs, not GLI's, with an autotech RSB
Yeah I do...it's mine
LOL!!! Well hot damn, I have a good eye then :) I have the W8 console in my Jetta, so if you ever get the itch, let me know the install is fairly simple.

Nice car BTW, I am thinking perhaps some GLI/337 springs, something not as low as the H&R race that I had a few years back..

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I commute from Waterloo to Vaughn leaving at 5:45am every morning and leaving Vaughn coming home at 4pm'ish via 407/401. I'm driving a 2006 Silver Jetta TDI(only distinguishing mark is VW Waterloo plate covers.) I gotta get some TDI club stickers or something.

I see a ton of TDI's early in the morning between Waterloo and Milton, I guess it's the early morning, hard core commuter crowd that more likely to buy a TDI.

I've only ever seen one TDI club plate cover and that was on a MkV Jetta headed towards London on the 401 at the Hwy 8 cutoff by Sportsworld.

Edit: for my terrible spelling and grammer

Last edited:

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
Deezel dub said:
i wanna see someone or someone see me lol

Silver 4 door golf with 17x9's poking way out, you will recognize it :)
lol drive by the Psych Hospital on Saturday or Sunday at Highbury and Oxford, if I see you I'll wave!!!

P.S I WORK there.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
wakeboarder_shawn said:
I thought bill said you had GLI valance. Are you saying your are getting rid of your GLI lip?
If so let me know, I'll buy it off you
I have the GLI rear valance and stock front lip. I'm going to paint the stock black front body colour.
[/IMG]

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
LNXGUY said:
LOL!!! Well hot damn, I have a good eye then :) I have the W8 console in my Jetta, so if you ever get the itch, let me know the install is fairly simple.

Nice car BTW, I am thinking perhaps some GLI/337 springs, something not as low as the H&R race that I had a few years back..

If I do it again, I wouldn't lower the car. I stay stock ride height and play with RSB and front tower struts to improve handling.

Deezel dub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf Variant
Toronto_Vento said:
Diezel Dub...that Timmies is right near me, but I've got a b-day dinner thing to go to this Friday. I don't think I've ever gone out to the general VW club meets, other than once for an MKIII photo-shoot (my old car).
should meet up saturday afternoon for coffee, should be nice out

rich, i'll be in King city this weekend.

wakeboarder_shawn

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
Sweeps said:
That was me, and I did see you! You flashed your 4 ways at me, and I returned the wave with the headlights.

My TDI Club license plate is actually just a sticker on my plate cover though:p

I was moving slowly today! Your car looked good :)

It's nice to "meet" you ;). How far down into the city do you go from Orillia?

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I've seen a silver A4 TDI with Ontario plates in Little Valley, NY several times. Talked to the gentleman once. He did not know about the TDI Club, but he does now. Don't know if he has visited here or not. I see more TDIs with Ontario plates here in western NY than I do with NY plates.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
LNXGUY said:
Peter, RSB might be an option.. I am already running Bilstein Sports under stock springs....
Bill, I'm no engineer nor a racing expert. I spent some time reading Peter Pyce's thread over on the Vortex and much of what he said made some sense to me for everyday driving needs. Subsequent to that reading I did some "spirited" driving in my son's stock suspended '06 Golf TDI. That confirmed what I had read...at least in the "seat of my pants" analysis. Shortening and stiffening the springs tightens the suspension up and reduces wheel travel aside of geometry changes. This makes the car "choppy" and prone to hopping, rather than keeping the wheels and tires planted on the road surface. With that said, the stock suspension is prone to understeer and more body roll than what I like. (both situations being a mind set rather than examples of the car's actual handling and adhesion abilities.) I'm inclined to think that an RSB to reduce understeer and stiffer shocks to maintain body roll to a minimum is a good combination. The addition of the RSB appears to shift car C of G forward, thus loading up the front strut towers. Extra support here thus, makes sense. Be wary though, the RSB will neutralize understeer for the most part...to a point, then suddenly the car feels tighter and very very rapidly goes into oversteer. Once you've found that point, and can anticipate it, you can use that transition to your advantage. Brian, GoFaster on here has recently done some similar changes to his MK5 jetta, but his choices were far more technically based than mine. Brian being an engineer.
So, I guess what I'm suggesting is the following. Decide what it is that you are looking for. Is it looks combined with some changes in handling and ride. Or, do you want to simply improve the handling of your car. I would suggest some serious thought be applied to where you spend most of your driving time and the changes to that ride quality that you are prepared to deal with. You're welcome to take my car out for a run if you want to get an idea. To give a point of reference...I haven't timed it, but I'm guessing that a run up the Ridge Rd in the stock suspended Golf will be quicker than my Jetta.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I agree with you on all points Peter. The one thing I did notice with my H&R cupkit was the choppiness you described. I noticed now with the Bilsteins and stock springs that the car sticks a lot better. But along with the springs comes the body roll which would be nice to lessen to some extent. My '92 Golf WE had a rear sway stock and that handled like a dream (Not comparing a MK4 to a MK2, but I really liked how the RSB made the car feel).

Hopefully you'll be at Shaydee's GTG, we can BS some more over a beer or two.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Not to stear anything. But isn't the choppines comming more from the shock not working properly with a stiff spring?
I would think that the spring compresses and jumps back out and the shock doesn't do much to stop that movement. So, either the shock does not fight enough against the compression, or the rebound is not controlled at all. Which makes the spring (wheel assambley) to decompress (hit the ground, or push the car up) with even higher force as it just bounced of the uncontrolled rebound.
Damn, that was a stinky brain fart :) I hope it made a litle sense.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
to sum up what Doc is trying to say ....

choppiness/ bouncing is due to poorly matched spring rates to dampeners...

these items work together to control your ride.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
wakeboarder_shawn said:
It's nice to "meet" you ;). How far down into the city do you go from Orillia?
Mavis and Central Parkway area.

I have one of the longer commutes here I think.

138km each way :eek:

Usually I am in the 80-90 minute range with traffic.

I have done it in 65 minutes though.

Nice to meet you too :D

Deezel dub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf Variant
I'll be in Richmond Hill this weekend if any of you guys wanna meet up at timmies on yonge near #7.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Both Doc and Vic make valid points. The shock and spring do need to work harmoniously. This decision would again be a function of what it is you want your car to be doing. My my "old fart" butt, I would prefer a slightly stiffer shock/spring rate with full suspension travel combined with the weight shift of an RSB and front upper tower support. A slightly less bobbled but more compliant ride that still has the capacity to outsteer 65% of what is on the road.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
I think pretty much everybody has passed me on the 400, except maybe Sweeps because he's gone before I get there around 9am. I'm the black Jetta wagon with the Yorkdale frame holder goin 100 km/h, heh.

Sweeps said:
Mavis and Central Parkway area.
I have one of the longer commutes here I think.
138km each way :eek:
That's all ? I would have thought it was a lot farther. It's 200km from where I am to Keele/401 and I imagine that (Rich_Diesel?) guy who commutes from London to the Point must be pretty damn far too.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Tsagoth said:
I think pretty much everybody has passed me on the 400, except maybe Sweeps because he's gone before I get there around 9am. I'm the black Jetta wagon with the Yorkdale frame holder goin 100 km/h, heh.

That's all ? I would have thought it was a lot farther. It's 200km from where I am to Keele/401 and I imagine that (Rich_Diesel?) guy who commutes from London to the Point must be pretty damn far too.
Yep that's "all" :) between 138km and 140km depending on if I take the 407 or not.

Deezel dub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf Variant
anyone here drive the black mk4 jetta with a few things done to the exterior. It's parked everyday at the king city carpool lot

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Was driving today behind a greenish coloured MkIV Jetta TDI for about 200km going west on the 401 towards Toronto. The pace was good, nice and fast, though it hurt my mileage!

Is that anyone on here?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Well ValleyGolf and I see each other at least 2x a week @ around 5:15am near Cobden.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Saw a black MKIV Jetta Wagon this morning on the 400S. Had a TDIClub license plate frame. I got infront of you and threw the 4ways on, you obliged with a flash of the highbeams :)

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
That's me Bill. Cruise set to sip fuel (and I was still 1/2 an hour early to my first appointment). I was pretty sure it was you (red & tint give you away).

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hey Gary :) I had forgotten what you drove, no wonder I didn't recognize you!!

I am usually on the road a lot earlier then that, I was a bit late today....

Deezel dub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf Variant
In st.thomas black "BORA" with red TDI badge I'm guessing you work at Formet. Not sure if you are on here though

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
LNXGUY said:
Hey Gary :) I had forgotten what you drove, no wonder I didn't recognize you!!

I am usually on the road a lot earlier then that, I was a bit late today....
Bill when are you on the road? Maybe I'll leave really early one day to convoy down with you :D