5 speed swap 2004 Jetta BEW TDI wagon

TDIFOR2004BEW

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW PD
Whats up Dubbers! Posting my recent experience with the ole trans swap from auto to manual with my 2004 Jettta TDI wagon BEW. All has gone well so far. Not ready to run yet still needs more work done BUT I have the wiring complete for the swap and I just wanted to say thanks to Alphaseinor and Boertje for getting me across the threshold and quite frankly learning quite a bit about car schematics. Everything is there just not in your face as one might think and their work was priceless for the DIY-er. So, Thank you very much for your input I hope it all works. I will update when I kick the tires and light the fires. BTW I dropped out the 09A Tiptronic because it had high miles and low MPG. The trans worked fine for 230,000 mile then said it had enough. I love that I can rebirth an old wagon with a manual trans and it was especially nice since I had a donor 2004 Jetta Sedan TDI BEW. I would like to add that it would be helpful if the instructions for maintenance were car specific in the thread. Most of the time it is a guessing game for newbies whether the information can be used. So for example: Today I dropped my auto trans(09a)(01M)etc. from my 1999.5 to 2005)pick a year, Jetta (golf,wagon sedan) with engine type(ALH, BEW). This helps narrow down the hours of searching by a more definitive word search. I could be completely phooey, just my experience noImzayin!?

Last edited:

TDIFOR2004BEW

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW PD
Update. 5 speed 02J swap complete and successful. Removed 09A tiptronic and installed 02J manual. The mechanicals are simple as far as brain drain is concerned the electrical can be a little tricky. There is good info out there from Boertjle and Alphaseneinor on how to do this. I had to take a little from both to make mine work, but they were both spot on in the "How To" dept. The A27 bus is not that complicated but it took a while for it to make sense. End Result: I changed the ECU code from automatic trans to manual before I began the work. I bought the Bentley books which is a must for a newb. I had a donor car so everything I needed was available. I currently am not worried about the coolant glow plugs showing a fault code on VCDS because they do not throw a CEL. My donor car was a 2004 Jetta TDI sedan and the transplant car a 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, both have the BEW engine. So I have a sedan carcass if anybody needs parts. I literally with no exaggeration ignitioned on, engine off checked for codes, cleared them then started the car and it all works perfectly ie., clutch cut-off for cruise and start, reverse lights and speedometer. I am very happy and thankful for all the good people out there sharing their information. If anyone has questions specific to this topic I would be happy to assist the best I can.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Great work.
You didn't even have questions about it.
The Bentley is a must have in my opinion.

Kyle marquis

TDI
Two 2005 Jetta bews
Any links to some of the wiring diagrams that helped you? Currently swapping my 2004 and having issues with the wiring.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
What are you having trouble with?
The Bentely manual has wire diagrams though I am not fond of them.