Off Road Deletes on EA288 2.0 CRUA: Which one?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
There's a ton of different options and not really sure what should I be looking for. I'm aware it is off road only. I was looking at both Rawtek and Buzzken and from searching, most seem to like whichever version they bought. It seems the price/materials is the deciding factor for most. I have two questions:

1. What should I be ordering among the options? Cat, resonator, straight pipe? Difference assuming sound and if your state requires this (which seems moot since it is off road use only)? I'm not looking for loud as I drive the car daily and we use it for road trips 8+ hours at times.

2. Is it worth it for gains/mpg on the EA288? I don't mind putting the money out and like having that stuff deleted, but will I notice any improvements with a Stage 2 tune with stock turbo?

Thanks all.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
1- depends on your state/emissions. I would go for straight pipe. if you retain the stock muffler its the perfect diesel note. not loud and no drone.

2- yes and yes you will notice nice gains with the stock turbo. stage 2 is all you need.

keep in mind... you can go stage 2 with no hardware modifications... more like stage 1.75 though.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thank you. Currently on Stage 2 Malone now. I'm in PA where we are emissions exempt for diesels. Sounds like it's worth doing.

I'm noticing the Rawtek kit removes ADblue injection as part of their kit. Does Buzzken offer the same?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Even if your state does not enforce emissions, it still is a Federal crime to tamper with or delete Federally mandated emission equipment. Will you get caught or punished? Probably not.

What we need to do is put a leash on The EPA so that the mandated emission standards actually make sense. Spending thousands of $ per car to have the air coming out of your tail pipe cleaner than the air going into your air filter isn't going to make a difference with world pollution levels.

I have read that the EPA is looking at measuring emissions down to the PPB (Parts Per Billion).

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
are you running Malone 2 with no hardware modifications?
Correct, they offer a Stage 2 with no hardware.

Even if your state does not enforce emissions, it still is a Federal crime to tamper with or delete Federally mandated emission equipment. Will you get caught or punished? Probably not.

What we need to do is put a leash on The EPA so that the mandated emission standards actually make sense. Spending thousands of $ per car to have the air coming out of your tail pipe cleaner than the air going into your air filter isn't going to make a difference with world pollution levels.

I have read that the EPA is looking at measuring emissions down to the PPB (Parts Per Billion).
Yes, the car will, ahem, will not be driven on public roads, ahem. I do find it interesting that some states don't bother yet gas engines they're fairly strict. Not to mention, they're exempt from it now, but who's to say they won't moving forward. It is a spiral that needs lasso'd in. Billions, geez!!!!

Last edited:

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Also wondering the same things... my 60k power train warranty just ran out...

might want to hold on to everything, just in case you want to sell it down the road or get forced to put it back on (AKA a fix it ticket) or they want to start doing a better visual inspection. IIRC these now have a 162k warranty on the emissions equipment as part of the settlement

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Yes plan to keep everything just for those reasons. Not so worried about warranty but having a sister in law with same car but an SE would be good.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
rawtek and buzkin are the two big names I'm aware of.

Rawtek I think is in canada near malone, i think one uses a slightly better grade of stainless i forget which one.

A reflash with file exchanges will be in order with either option you go for, not sure if malone or your tuner charges a small % for upgrading the tune.

The amount of EPA violations I see every day that get the same mandatory state inspections makes the federal enforcement laughable.

BoostCrzy

TDI
2015 6spd
I LOVE my Rawtek deletes on my 2015 Golf....I was able to delete 100lbs (measured) of useless emissions trash that unleashed my stage 2 tune to its fullest potential. MPG is at 60 on the highway...(55mpg with the stickier pilot supersports) and the sound.....let me tell you....its to die for.

50whp and 110wtq over stock with this setup...(and a slipping stock clutch) I have since then upgraded the clutch and after break-in will go on the dyno again to measure any extra gains. I expect MORE tq.

0-60mph times sunk from 9.0 seconds stock to 6.3seconds on the stock clutch. I am hoping for 6 seconds flat with the stage 2 clutch now!

my biggest regret is waiting this long to do the deletes!!...you wont be disappointed with the quality and fit of the RAWTEK system.

check out my youtube channel for more on the golf. youtube.com/jackcecil

https://youtu.be/ZD_x3QMAZ44

and tell rawtek i sent you.

-Jack

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thanks for the feedback Jack. I’m leaning towards them as they have a nice full package (TWSS) with what looks to be nice quality.

Speaking of clutch, what route did you go as I know that will be the next “fuse” as I’m not gentle on my cars or trucks.

BoostCrzy

TDI
2015 6spd
Thanks for the feedback Jack. I’m leaning towards them as they have a nice full package (TWSS) with what looks to be nice quality.
Speaking of clutch, what route did you go as I know that will be the next “fuse” as I’m not gentle on my cars or trucks.
I personally installed the DKM stage 2 SMF setup. I was on the fence as to going with the stage 3 twin disk but in the end i felt that was going to be overkill for my daily commute and with a lot of stop n go driving. So far its working well but it is pretty noisy at idle and around 2k rpm. other than that you cant tell the difference from stock. very smooth and holds the extra tq perfectly.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I LOVE my Rawtek deletes on my 2015 Golf....I was able to delete 100lbs (measured) of useless emissions trash that unleashed my stage 2 tune to its fullest potential. MPG is at 60 on the highway...(55mpg with the stickier pilot supersports) and the sound.....let me tell you....its to die for.

50whp and 110wtq over stock with this setup...(and a slipping stock clutch) I have since then upgraded the clutch and after break-in will go on the dyno again to measure any extra gains. I expect MORE tq.

0-60mph times sunk from 9.0 seconds stock to 6.3seconds on the stock clutch. I am hoping for 6 seconds flat with the stage 2 clutch now!

my biggest regret is waiting this long to do the deletes!!...you wont be disappointed with the quality and fit of the RAWTEK system.

check out my youtube channel for more on the golf. youtube.com/jackcecil

https://youtu.be/ZD_x3QMAZ44

and tell rawtek i sent you.

-Jack
What does all that cost out the door?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A couple of tuners have told me it's best to have a catalytic converter included with the delete. They say that untreated common rail exhaust is really stinky. I've never minded the untreated exhaust of my rotary pump cars but apparently the CRs smell different.

Anyone know if any of the tuners can show full emissions readiness after a delete?

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Tuners can show readiness, but poking your head in the bay for a second can convine any savvy inspector that the equipment is gone. Also, my car smells like a school bus.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Power gains from deletes aren't that substantial with a stock turbo, ~5-10whp/15-25wtq, a lot of the benefit comes from simplifying the system and lowering EGTs. So on a 5-8 second pull you'd make similar power, but for an aggressive track session they'd drive totally different since you'll get the exhaust hot. Definitely night and day over stock with a tune, similar to PD gains % wise.

Yes you can force-pass readiness monitors, but it's not something we'll do. Emissions inspectors are also being trained to try clearing codes/readiness to see if it comes back online immediately if a car is suspect. Trying to trick them might not go so well when they find out.

CRs for sure smell different, the VWs aren't too bad but the 335Ds and Mercedes stink a bit. Most keep the primary cat on the 3L TDIs, wouldn't be a bad idea to add a high performance cat on any of them though.

Last edited: