Unburnt diesel mist on outside of cam cover

mrschilly

TDI
PD140
Hi guys,

I've got an Outlander with a 2.0 PD engine (BSY). There's a constant smell of raw diesel fuel, which is worse after motorway driving. There are definitely no leaks or drips anywhere, apart from between the foam engine cover and the cam cover, where there's always a slight bit of damp unburnt diesel. There is absolutely no sign of leakage from the tandem pump. I can't see any trace of fuel spraying from anywhere. It just seems to be seeping through the cam cover. Is that possible?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I don't know a lot about outlanders but if it is like any other engine the diesel shouldn't have a way to get to the cam cover because the only thing under the cam cover is the cam, lifters ect. and a whole lot of oil. If you are leaking diesel from the cam cover, it would come out in a diesel/oil mix. It would also mean you have a bad cam cover gasket. Are you sure it isn't coming from anywhere else? lines, fuel filter, fuel pump. If you can smell it it is probably being boiled or evaporated from some were, diesel doesn't usually smell other wise (well unless you are pretty close to the source). When it is running can you see steam or a haze coming from anywhere? any pics of the diesel drip you are seeing?

hope this helps:eek: