2012 No power when trying to crank

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Golf, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hey guys, alittle miss leading. I do have power just not when I try to crank it. It is a keyless ignition, and the car sees the key, but when I press the brake or push the button nothing happens. Its like I have no power and I am not sure were to start. I am new to this car, my first keyless entry and I am already regretting this decision. Any thought of where to look. I have already replaced the battery in car, just to rule out possible bad one and I replaced the battery in FOB. Anyone have any suggestions were to start.
Mickey

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Sounds like the starter has ghosted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just to verify you have a 2012 Passat with Kessy? (keyless start) Did you replace the battery yourself or a shop? It cant hurt to recheck the terminals

How many miles on the car?

Anything on the dash when you press the button? Do all the dash lights go off? do you hear any sounds?

If the starter gave up you'd prob see everything lose power as the locked rotor current would be pretty high.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have a 2012 with Kessy and I replaced battery out of another TDI that just returned from a 4 hr trip so I know the battery is good as well as terminals. And when you say starter do the mean the start button or the actual starter. Cause like I said I have no power on the instrument cluster when I depress the start button. Haven't checked starter directly but I am this afternoon. I am missing something just now sure what yet.

PS the information system verifys the key is in the car and the steering unlocks. That is it no lights come on at all when I hit the start butoon.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Possibly bad “start” button.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
other than pressing the start button and nothing happening on the dash lights, I'm not sure.

Hearing the steeringwheel unlock is key that everything on the Kessy system is working properly.

Sadly do some searching sounds like its a commonish problem, possible to clean contacts and reassemble.

Did you just buy this car?

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Well long story short, I purchased it about 2-3 months ago, but car had been wrecked. It is all body damage and the PO did not have insurance on the car so it was never turned in, so I have a clean title. I just got up with PO and the finally found the key. And that is where I am at now. I have done some searching it does seem to be fairly common. Just makes no sense why it would go bad just sitting but I sure it has happened before.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how many miles? could be a spilled cup of coffee that caused the damage and you won't know until you get at the switch.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I too would hazard a guess as a bad "Engine Start" button.

I'm not going to say its common, but I do keep them in stock in my dealership.

If you want to try something, you could take the button apart and clean the contacts with some electrical cleaner and a pencil eraser. I wouldnt apply any electrical grease or anything to the contacts, just reassemble it dry.

If it works, you could roll out till it happens again, or just go ahead and replace it but it is $110. Your choice.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Well this is what I am planning on doing, that is taking apart and trying to clean it, what do I have to lose. My next question does the panel that is around the push button just snap in like the panel around the radio. I have never had one of these apart and I am having a hard to find anything on the web the described how to take apart. And as far as the miles on the car it is 112k.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
112K isn't prob unheard of having that button flake out thats prob 1500-4000 operations, and probably a couple spilled coffees.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Every once in a while I have a situation where I get a no start condition. But then the immediate next try I just push harder on the brake pedal and all is A1 OK again !

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Are you sure you're pressing hard enough on the brake? Weren't there issues with NMS Passats with the brake pedal switch failing?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every once in a while I have a situation where I get a no start condition. But then the immediate next try I just push harder on the brake pedal and all is A1 OK again !

Ahh but if you don't press the brake pedal enough, you at least turn on the ignition and the dash lights/radio come on.

Sounds like that doesn't even happen to the OP situation.