No response from engine controller tdi starts then dies no immobilizer light

Turboed

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Hello,

I really am stumped with this problem. I have a 2000 jetta tdi that starts and runs fine for 2 seconds then dies every time. I have a flashing glow plug light that comes on and I have engine light on. The immobilizer light is not on. I cannot get the engine controller to respond with my vag com but have never had a problem doing so before. I have checked the dlc power, ground and k-link voltage(9v). I have checked and changed the obvious fuel filter and have fuel coming out of the lines. The fuel shut off has power all the time the ignition is on. Checked all the fuses. Tested the 109 relay. The relay is fine but the input ground #85 when checked with my power probe 3 displayed sporatic ground on and off and blinks fast. I am not sure if this is normal or not and may be coming from the ECM. I am pulling my hair out as this is my family car. I am a mechanic but I need some one that knows where to go from here. Any help is very very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Russ

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If the relay ( 109 ) is black change it, it will fail or will fail sporadically and drive you nuts . Do you have VCDS? Are you able to pull up any codes?
Also was any work done to it recently?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Your fault codes will tell you exactly where it hurts. Do you have an aftermarket radio installed? If so, disconnect it and take vagcom read of ecu faults. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Can you get into other modules, ie. instruments, air bags, radio??

Jeff