Gtd1752vrk?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I've been running a gtd1752vrk with a dmf on my alh jetta for a little more than 3 years with no issues(.240 injectors). I have the 240mm 150pd dmf though, along with a 6 spd. Love the turbo, much better pull down low than the stock vnt15.
Just as I am trying to talk myself out of this upgrade you come and give another positive review to the turbo! I am waiting on MAXRPM for a ride along/ test drive.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've been running a gtd1752vrk with a dmf on my alh jetta for a little more than 3 years with no issues(.240 injectors). I have the 240mm 150pd dmf though, along with a 6 spd. Love the turbo, much better pull down low than the stock vnt15.
When I briefly had the SMF, the 1752vrk was getting to 31psi by 1800rpm. When I had to switch back to DMF after losing some synchros (02Q has brittle steel synchros), had the tune dialed back considerably on the low end to keep the DMF from shuddering.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Personally I'm beginning to think that while low rpm spool and subsequent
torque may feel good, it puts a lot of stress on gearbox and engine.
Better for the longevity of the mechanicals to actually keep the revs higher.
Driving hard I'm not punching it until I'm well into the upper 2k rpm range.

Rather than smaller wheels with ball bearings, I'm starting to think that
for my style of driving, I'd prefer the larger wheels of something like a
GTB2060, I'm not wanting a dragster, the fastest off the line, but a response
when the vehicle is already at speed. Cruising on the highway in the mid 2ks,
I want the power to pass, to have hp available with the turbo already spooled up.
My engine response with the 17/22 is at its best in the 3k-4k rpm range.

Just thinking out loud,,,,,,,,,,,, FWIW.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I'd considered going with the GTD1752VRK to replace my current VNT-17/22. As much as I like the response of the GTD1752VRK, I think I'm now trying to decide between a GTB2060VKLR from Pioneering Performance or their GTB2260VKLR with their lightweight GTB22 turbine wheel.
GTB2060VKLR
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/2260-emporium/products/gtb2060vklr-vklr-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold-billet-compressor-wheel

GTB2260VKLR
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/2260-emporium/products/gtb2260vklr-vklr-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold-billet

Lightweight turbine wheel.
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/2260-emporium/products/gtb2260vklr-upgrade-lightweight-turbine-wheel

A little bit more info from their website.
https://pioneering-performance.com/pages/vklr-group-buy

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
3L3M3NT,
Yeah, their manifolds look good to me too. Bit pricier than the gottuned offerings but.
I'm certainly leaning more to the GT style of driving as referenced in the "what is handling" thread.
The GTB2060vklr would be the one for me,
I'd have to dust off the block I got and do a serious build
on it, mild cam and rods, got a rebuilt 11mm pump, head studs, etc.
Figure I've got the injectors that'd take me to 220-230bhp without any trouble.
Switch to a 4 bar map and the current tune would do it.
The SBC stage 2 Endurance would probably handle it.

Necessary? No, but it'd be fun, {;o). Maybe when the current turbo starts
getting a bit tired, lol, but that won't be for a while, the catch can has it running clean.

Dan99TDI

TDI
ALH going in a 56 CJ5, B5.5 tdi wagon
When I briefly had the SMF, the 1752vrk was getting to 31psi by 1800rpm. When I had to switch back to DMF after losing some synchros (02Q has brittle steel synchros), had the tune dialed back considerably on the low end to keep the DMF from shuddering.
I've been debating turbos for awhile on my Jeep build that seems like it will never start.

Might have been a blessing in disguise because this is the type of response and power I'd always been hoping to find- tractor torque way down low from a turbo that could do 200hp+

Thanks for the info, I'm off to ebay lol.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
My GTD1756vrk can easily do over 200hp, I got a lot of mods in my jetta, I used to race this engine at the TDI fest (it was in my golf)and its got the bolt ons, a lot of members saw it, and if i did 220hp with this same engine in 08, with 17/22, I know I'm over that right now, even considering that I have only RC5.5,. But reading all your post, the contrary for me, I found the 17/22 to be more abrupt once the boost came into play, and I destroyed tranny and axles and other components, I find this GTD to have more linear power across the band, and belive me it is so nice to have boost down low, members that have 17/22 could brag all you want but until you test this GTD you will find out that your turbo really got the old technology, and you would not miss it if you swap it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Max,
Dunno' what "only an RC5.5" is like, lol, guess I'm getting old. I suspect
I'm pushing "only" 175whp, which realistically is quite fast enough for me
these days. I'm sure the GTD VNT & ball bearings would make for quicker
spool, and broader power band. Lol, haven't got a ticket in years, I want to keep it that way,
another 50hp and I suspect that could change.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
... but until you test this GTD you will find out that your turbo really got the old technology, and you would not miss it if you swap it.
I am still waiting to test that GTD Turbo ;) as well as Pierre!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Max,
Dunno' what "only an RC5.5" is like, lol, guess I'm getting old. I suspect
I'm pushing "only" 175whp, which realistically is quite fast enough for me
these days. I'm sure the GTD VNT & ball bearings would make for quicker
spool, and broader power band. Lol, haven't got a ticket in years, I want to keep it that way,
another 50hp and I suspect that could change.

It is easy enough to get a ticket in a bacon fund raising event if you are even a wee bit careless. Fortunately I just got charged with double parking on the interstate...no points and such. Just green to hand over. No power mods.
cheers,
Doug

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Doug,
Well the state trooper sailed by me today on I80 without a pause. I was doing about 74 in a 70 zone with the teardrop in tow. I do love the top end power of my 17/22. I'm leaning more and more to one of the Pioneering Performance 2060s with ball bearings and water cooling.
Cheers!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Doug,
Well the state trooper sailed by me today on I80 without a pause. I was doing about 74 in a 70 zone with the teardrop in tow. I do love the top end power of my 17/22. I'm leaning more and more to one of the Pioneering Performance 2060s with ball bearings and water cooling.
Cheers!
I keep considering a 2056 from those folks, but I am only needing something like a VNT17, and the 1752vrk looks like a proper small, Big turbo for what I want. In all honesty, the BEW is likely going to just get a VNT17. I'd love a set of injectors, but holy smokes does that cost a bit to do properly. A slightly bigger set of noozles would hopefully help with MPG, and at the same time reduce max injector pressure which is a good thing for the belt loading.

I keep thinking that The Boy is right, "Dad, if we turn it up, it will break sooner"...which was his response when I offered to help him turn up his ALH.
cheers,
Douglas