Reccomended Hose Clamp Pliers?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I see that there are two types that can be used: cable clamp and hand clamp.

I'm looking at the Knipex 85 51 250 AF for the latter, but don't know a good brand for the former. One thing I've heard about the cable type is that the flanges that grip the spring clamp tabs tend to bend or break off after awhile.

Any suggested brands/sources?

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I can't offer any brand recommendations. But I have a piece of advice. The cable-style pliers are nice for hard-to-reach places. But the tabs tend to slip off the hose clamp, even when under tension. The swivel cups on the Knipex pliers are much nicer. So only use the cable clamps when you have to.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't offer any brand recommendations. But I have a piece of advice. The cable-style pliers are nice for hard-to-reach places. But the tabs tend to slip off the hose clamp, even when under tension. The swivel cups on the Knipex pliers are much nicer. So only use the cable clamps when you have to.

Thanks, that is the sort of info I'm interested in hearing. I wonder if the cable pliers tabs were in the form of a shallow "V", they might not slip as much?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just google "constant tension hose clamp pliers" and you'll get all sorts of hits.

These used to be extremely expensive when they first became common, I think the first one I bought was nearly $100 at the time (late '80s). Now the same things sold under a wide variety of brands (many are just reboxed) can be had for $25 or less.

Mine are Mayhew brand, made in France, and they have held up good. I have had to rebuild the cable operated one twice over the years (they sell a kit), but as much as I use it I can hardly complain.

This is a slightly improved version of what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-28655...6HZ06R1Z0AQ&psc=1&refRID=AXP0XNWNE6HZ06R1Z0AQ

And like I said, the ONE piece alone was around $100, I think I paid close to $150 for the pair back in the late '80s. So the cost has come way down, I hope the quality is still there. No idea where the new ones are made.

Fortunately, VAG uses the best constant tension clamps available, which makes for a much easier time (with the proper tools of course). Lots of other brands use really cheap flimsy clamps that bend and distort or those ignorant locking type that are nearly impossible to UNlock going back together because they were made for fast assembly with the little holder tang that of course was thrown away when the car was assembled. Fords are the worst for those.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL! I did try google and was overwhelmed by the results. I figured I'd ask here and after looking at the Mayhew product, I went for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, according to Mayhew's website, they are made in France.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I love my cable constant pressure tool. Stock intercooler has a clamp that is a real pain with this tool.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've been using the harbor freight set for years - mostly just for the remote cable clamp pliers. It works extremely well, but I can't find it on their site right now. The set has 8 or so different locking spring clamp pliers, but the remote cable one is the most handy.