New Kerma DSG Tune vs. Phase 2

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
Kerma TDI recently informed me (I was on a wait list) that they finally have their DSG tune available for Mk7. It is $399. I could have sworn the price was much higher in the past, before Mk7 was supported. Anyway, the phase 2 fix, which I obviously haven't done, supposedly improves the programming of the DSG for better drivability, so my question is how much of an improvement? Better yet, has anyone had the phase 2 fix, and now the Kerma tune? Maybe this is why they dropped the price.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Same tune as 2015 Jetta I believe I did the dsg tune also but was not as happy with it as I thought I would be seems to stay in to high of a gear making rpm to high for my liking always finding my self putting in manual mode up shifting not bashing just not what I expected also have another 2015 Jetta have not tune it yet my other Jetta also 2015 uses a a quart of oil every 5000 miles new 2015 does not so I'm not sure if a tune car would make it use some oil just a thought .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I had phase 2 fix done and then bought Malone DSG tunes and the difference is significant. Highly recommend it.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Wonder what the difference between kerma and Malone tunes are for the 2015

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
So the phase 2 tune doesn't do much? I'd put off that fix without some pressing reason to do so.

TDIMan - You mean you had the factory tune or the Kerma tune? It only came out a few weeks ago.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Don’t know, I have Kerma engine tunes and Malone DSG tunes and I prefer dealing with Malone. Every time I deal with Kerma something just feels off.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
My fist 2015 Jetta has phase 2 and a dsg tune from kerma
I purchased another 2015 Jetta sel and have not did a tune or dsg upgrade its 4 months old and have not really missed it .

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I had a Kerma 1+ tune on my 2015 GSW. The car had phase 1 mod before I bought it new. I got phase 2 done and it was back to stock tune, so I attempted to reload the tune but the Qpro loader touch screen failed.

Jason (Kerma TDI) replaced my old Qpro loader for free. Thanks Jason... I got the new phase 2 tune loaded. Just like the original phase 1 tune, the phase 2 1+ tune is a little heavy for the DSG at lower rpm. It can shudder a bit, so I don't push it too hard below 2000 rpm. It is impressive. Nothing "feels off".

I would like to adjust the mpg display.

I am getting 35 to 45 mpg, depending, but the readout is half that! It never shows --- anymore, even when coasting to a stop. Rarely even makes it to 300mpg, which it used to all the time when I lifted my foot off the accelerator. It shows like 18-22mpg when just cruising along, but I am getting twice that. Can this be adjusted using VAG-COM/VCDS ??

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I didn't notice any difference between stock DSG tuning of phase 1 and phase 2.

But I'm also very happy with the stock tuning of the DSG, even with just phase 2 (haven't reflashed yet with malone). The shifts are very very crisp and fast, yeah it prob holds RPMS higher when you're on it, but the pull is still strong.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Kerma Stage 2 ECU tune here installed after phase 2 fix. I get somenshudder at lower RPM in regular DSG mode but it is eliminated if i switch the DSG to sport mode. Sport mode seems to hold in gear a little longer than i like.

Would a Kerma DSG tune eliminate the shudder in lower rpm when in regular DSG mode? Would a DSG tune improve the longevity of the DSG clutch packs?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Conttary to Kerma stating it's not DMF shudder, that shudder is peak torque at low RPM and harmonics of the DMF, this is the reason why kerma also offers a stg 1+ and a stage 1, it drops the peak torque at 18-2000 RPMs just a little bit, and you'll never notice the issues. A DSG tune won't fix the harmonic issue but it may change the shift patern to cause the DSG to downshift earlier and you'll never be in that trouble range, that sounds like a $4-500 fix for an issue that can be solved by just running a stg 1 or low torque issue.

You are correct that the sport mode will keep it out of that "trouble band", for us it just made sense to get a lower torque file.

Malone tune also has that same issue with the high torque files.

The last thing you want it so have that DMF come apart.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Thanks for the info on the torque files and dmf shudder. My Q loader has 2 torque files, i just loaded the higher of the two. I'll try the lower one and see how that works out, or i may just treat myself to the Kerma DSG tune and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Mark

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
can't remember if i have the Kerma stage 1+ or stage 2, but i was sort of interested in their DSG tune before it came out.
hard to justify it as a "need" thing - i happily rock Sport mode at all times until pulling back into my driveway. :]

oh, and i may just skip the phase 2 fix to avoid any hassles with reloading my tune.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I'm happy to hear they are doing phase 2 fixes on tuned/previously tuned cars in the first place. I've always see that for our 2015's, in particular, we do not NEED the DSG tune.
Unlike the earlier years "need" to have it done with anything above the Eco tunes we just don't have to do it with the 2015's.

Wondering, did you all revert ECM tunes to stock before taking in AND I know the VW phase 2 changes the DSG tune, so also wondering if anyone that had DSG tune BEFORE had it overwritten when getting phase 2 done.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Update: I dropped down from the Kerma Stage 2 to a 1+ or 1.5 and i added the Kerma DSG tune.

Been driving that combo for about 6 months now. No shudder but still same butt dyno feel for power. Wish i would have added the DSG tune sooner. Way better shift characteristics in regular mode than stock and it is a beast in sport mode.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We rocked stock phase 2 EPA fix for about a year and half, then finally got around to getting win7 on our old macbook pro to get Qloader working, (my new work laptop was locked down so i couldn't isntall it). Received the new Phase 2 compliant Malone tune for low torque and installed in say March. Wife never noticed, but the powers there in a gradual way. still no DMF shudder. Can't say MPG has improved or regens are reduced, but i hardly drive the car much these days.