Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Cheap Autostore Axles

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read you can swap the joints side to side. Is that true and maybe applicable?
Just new boots, new grease, new fasteners?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
What is the normal (or preferred or average) maintenance for the boots? What do you need to do and how often?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Check them regularly and replace them when they fail. That's what I do, at least. It's one reason why I like to drain the oil during a change. Gets me under the car so I can take a look at the boots, among other things.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The outer boots on my axles are still intact after 413K miles, but the joints click on turns in either direction so I am about to change them out.

Those OEM boots are really good.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
What is the normal (or preferred or average) maintenance for the boots? What do you need to do and how often?
I still have the original boots at 260K miles
Never even messed with them.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
There's miles, but there's also age. My car only has 170k miles on it, but it's pushing 19 years old (2000). Boots are still good. Wife's car is also a 2000 and has original boots (212k miles).

SeaBlood

TDI
2005 Passat sedan
OEM axles sitting idle

G'day all,

Today the Passat got it's 5 speed manual swap overhaul. Parts from Frans! So far so good but probably lookin in near future to get a reflash to cancel out the xmas tree lights on dash. In the meantime my old axles are now spare if anyone is interested in them, minus the cv joints of course. I've never had any issues with them and if I had the patience to figure out the electrical errors that kept putting the auto into safe mode, They'd still be pulling the TDI along.