States, provinces, and countries I've been to... show off your traveling scoreboard!

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
I'm thinking of doing one of those road trips were I can hit all 48 states. When I put in for that time off, it gave me 13 days off. Who in for a road trip?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm thinking of doing one of those road trips were I can hit all 48 states. When I put in for that time off, it gave me 13 days off. Who in for a road trip?

Map created at http://douweosinga.com/projects/visited?region=usa
another option: http://www.defocus.net/visitedstates/us-canada.html

That's where I stand currently. I'll be picking up Wisconsin and North Dakota in August when I drive out west again. I could pick up Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama if I wanted to extend the trip home by two days and 1,000 miles, but I'll probably be pressed for time and will end up taking I-70 back across the middle. I plan to hit Alaska on a cruise one year. :D

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If you count layovers at airports, I've been to every state except Wisconsin, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. As for Canada, I've been to British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, and Labrador (refueling stop in 1955).
Edit: New map. Connecticut & Massachusetts visited in June 2017.

World Wide*

*Portugal was only the Azores; North Korea was only in the DMZ.

It is hard to see on the map but I visited Israel, and the West Bank.
Last, one country I visited no longer exists: the German Democratic Republic a.k.a. East Germany.
Total counting the G.D.R, 29 countries.

I figured I'd list the 27 countries outside North America by continent:
Africa: Morocco
Asia: Israel, West Bank, Japan, South Korea, North Korea
Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (West), Germany (East), Greece, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal (Azores), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, & Wales), Vatican State.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You gotta work on New England! I think the only state I've never been to is Nebraska. Not sure how that happened. And I haven't been to Manitoba or the Maritimes. Want to go at some point, however. Lots and lots of frequent trips to clients in some years: one year went to San Francisco 28 times, and from 1999-2005 I went to Denver over 100 times. There are others, but those are the biggies. Shuttle flights to NYC I just don't count.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The main problem is that when we travel back east it is to see relatives on Staten Island. We do have a nephew in Connecticut but his parents live on S.I. so that is where we usually get together. I do want to see Lexington, Concord, Breed's Hill, and the various Revolutionary sites in Boston, along with the mythical "Plymouth Rock". As for Rhode Island, I'll have to be-careful not to blink or I'll miss it driving through. Hah, I lived in a county here in California that is 20 times the size of Rhode Island!

As for Nebraska, you must have a thing for I-70 and I-90. Go to the main Cabela's store in Sidney, Nebraska. Hmmm, I wonder if they'd want to have a few hundred TDI's descending en masse?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
A few years ago I did a working/semi vacation loop: Drove to Chicago for a 3 day meeting, drove to Bozeman to visit my brother and his wife for the weekend, drove to Denver for a 3 day meeting, and drove home. A friend of mine from Iowa lives in Denver, and I asked him if I should take I70 or I80. He said it didn't matter, Nebraska and Kansas look a lot alike. So I took 80. Also drove straight home with one 2 hour nap, 36 hours total.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
This is all I've got, although I don't actually remember Arizona, I was like 6 months old. Everywhere else, I remember:

(revised because I have visited Delaware since originally making this post)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think this discussion should move to a "states I've been to" thread... thoughts? :cool:

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
This is where my wife and I have driven our Jettas, except for Hawaii & Alaska which was by rental car. Maine, and the rest of Canada is still on the bucket list.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
States in which I have lived: Ohio, Indiana, Connecticut, Louisiana, Ohio (again), and Nevada.
States (and Provinces)in which I have driven: Every State in the lower 48 except: Minnesota, North & South Dakota, and Montana. I have driven in Hawaii, but not Alaska. As for Canada I have driven in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec (but only Hull to buy beer on a Sunday:rolleyes:). I have managed to avoid (so far) the north central parts of North America. I can see avoiding those places in the winter, but I really ought to see some of them in the summer.

Have Fun!

Don

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I listed the states and provinces I've been to if only via a layover previously. I've actually lived in California, Texas, Mississippi, and Colorado.

As to foreign countries, not counting Canada, I've been to: South Korea, North Korea, Okinawa, Japan, France, West Germany, East Germany, Ireland, the U.K. (England, Wales, and Scotland), Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Austria, Greece, Portugal (Azores), Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Israel, and Morocco.

Of those countries, I've lived in France, West Germany (4 times), and South Korea.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Here you go, Tony! 48 states in under 10,000 miles... http://tinyurl.com/os3acmf

There are some shorter routes that get it down to about 9300 miles, but you don't see as many places along the way. It's definitely worth the extra 600 miles to hit a few cool cities along the way.

Last edited:

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
States that I have visited:

Countries that I have visited:

Alas, my TDI has only been in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VeeDub I like the road trip. Tempting. All 48 in one OCI.

My international travel is pretty limited. Lots of repeat trips, but I have been to England, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the Canary Islands, France, Belgium, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela, Mexico, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and Australia. Somehow never been to Italy, although I booked it twice. And instead of going to India a few years ago I went to Florida. Not sure about that.

I remember going to a client meeting in Bangkok and on the flight in I realized I didn't have any hotel info. I was so used to being met by a driver that I had not bothered to find out where the meeting was. I just had to hope there was a guy with a sign at arrivals. There was.

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
I've been to 40 states and every province in Canada except the Yukon and Northwest Territories. In fact I travelled to all the province in 2003 alone. I travel a lot in Canada for work.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Missing out on the most of the northeast. 38 states completed. And not much of a "World" traveler. Only North America completed. Never been off this continent.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
46/50: I've driven through all, except: Florida, Rhode Island, Ohio and Hawaii.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Just got back from two weeks driving in Scotland (alas no TDI this time). Last October, I drove a Polo 1.2 TDI (3-cyl) in Italy. Several trips to the UK driving VAG products (Mk VI Golf TSI, Seat Altea 2.0 TDI, B5.5 Passat TDI with a proper transmission… manual). I've also driven gassers and diesels in South Korea (some kind of Korean diesel SUV thingy… it was 19 years ago so I forget). Every Canadian province in either my TDI or rentals. A bit in Brazil. Was driven around Chile. Most exotic was driving the diesel thing in S. Korea. Most terrifying: a toss-up between Brazil and Italy. Most fun, as always, the UK is hard to beat: disciplined drivers, great winding roads, single-track B-roads, and the challenge of driving a manual on the left while shifting with the left hand. I feel safer driving on the left in the UK than driving on the right in Italy. In two weeks and 1000 miles in Scotland over the past two weeks, we heard a horn blown exactly once, for a driver dozing at a traffic light when it turned green.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Years ago I came across a Car Magazines trip or article about that trip:
Shortest trip and fastest time to hit all LOWER States...If I remember it was something around 3 Days with 2 Drivers.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Made 49 of the 50 states. (missing Alaska) Been overseas a few times.
Scotland, England, Denmark, Sweden, France, Spain, Gibraltar, Italy, Israel, Canal Zone of Panama. Plus a few Caribbean islands. And a few places I am not allowed to talk about.
Present TDI has made all the lower 48 except Nevada and the 3 west coast states.
Plan to be there next year, but with a new TDI.

47driver

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI, 2010 Touareg TDI, 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Road trip

My family made our 30 day road trip in our Jetta TDI from Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland back into Germany in December. It was an awesome trip. Now we are stuck in lower Alabama.

We've put 75,000 miles on it in three years. Now we are looking to get rid of the Jeep and get a Q7. It will be a 100% diesel family.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well I didn't end up adding any more states on my recent trip, so I'll just have to plan another one!

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Here are the states I have been to....:

I lived in Wash DC, and California. Other states were visit only.

Will add maybe 5 more next week. Road trip time ...

visited 38 states (16.8%) Create your own visited map of The World or Triposo world travel guide for Android

Lived in Taiwan, USA, Dominican Rep, Venezuela, Colombia.

I still have not been to Africa yet.... waiting for ebola to clear out.

Last edited:

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
VeeDub I like the road trip. Tempting. All 48 in one OCI.

My international travel is pretty limited. Lots of repeat trips, but I have been to England, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the Canary Islands, France, Belgium, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela, Mexico, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and Australia. Somehow never been to Italy, although I booked it twice. And instead of going to India a few years ago I went to Florida. Not sure about that.

I remember going to a client meeting in Bangkok and on the flight in I realized I didn't have any hotel info. I was so used to being met by a driver that I had not bothered to find out where the meeting was. I just had to hope there was a guy with a sign at arrivals. There was.

You have been to all 48 states, and a ton of countries.! Nice !

Your international travels are not modest at all.