D3 Audi A8 3.0 CR tdi swap?

Tdiwgn12

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon tdi, 2013 Passat tdi SEL premium
Hello all, let me just say I have searched and alot of people ask about the 4.0L or the 4.2L tdi motors.. I have always loved the look of the D3 Audi A8, being that I used to live in Germany for 11 years I was used to seeing them around with a TDI badge.. I am looking into building this for my wife, so here are my questions and concerns...

1. If I can get my hands on a 3.0 CR motor I know I would have to get a tranny from Europe will the motor bolt right in with the motor mounts off an A8 over there?

2. I have read people say " you will need to find all the little parts" as in little things that could possibly be hard to find and what not... other then the motor and tranny, ecu, ect. what could they be referring too?

3. Would it be easier just to buy a whole front clip from a euro A8? One of the main reasons im even considering this is because my father is in the US Army and is going back to Germany in March for 4 years. I have the ability to go over there and check junk yards and possibly buy a complete front clip for this swap..

let me know what you think, I know I just made a login but I have been on vortex for years and I have read stuff on TDI club just never created an account... :p thanks guys

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
A front clip with engine, tranny, dash, cooling, etc. is your best bet. Most likel would be cheaper in the long run.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
If it's any help I've got a 6 speed 6hp19 auto trans from a D3 3.0 I'm putting into an Allroad. I've also got the rear diff and suspension from the same car.

As far as a front clip, your going to need a great many additional parts, such as rear diff prop shaft fuel tank as well as a number of body modules that are specific to diesel models. So you may want to consider bringing over an entire car, I did this with a 4.2 tdi D3.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Scott, I totally agree a complete car is better to have but what issues do you run into trying to ship or import a complete car? Since you are not going to put it on the road or register it does that make it a whole lot easier and less costly?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Scott, I totally agree a complete car is better to have but what issues do you run into trying to ship or import a complete car? Since you are not going to put it on the road or register it does that make it a whole lot easier and less costly?
There is all sorts of issues but it can be done legally too on a temporary basis.

Tdiwgn12

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon tdi, 2013 Passat tdi SEL premium
yea I considered a whole car, I was told that the power plant of the car ( engine and transmission) have to be removed from the car and shipped in a different crate and then it can be shipped as "Parts" but I cant say for 100% sure. Scott I have seen your all road build and im keeping a eye on it to see what you are doing with swapping over. I might even go with an A6 instead of an A8... we will see what I can get at the best deal.