96 TDI into A4 1.8t Quattro

Steve777

Veteran Member
Well as my 96 passat was totalled a couple of weeks ago, my interest in putting its engine into an Audi A4 quattro with 1.8t engine and manual tranny is revived...

I searched the conversions forum, and while it seems there have been alot of folks thinking or starting on such a project, I did not see anyone completing it. (If I'm wrong, please point me to your thread or let's talk).

Seems to me that the engine, flywheel to tranny should be a direct bolt up. The issues that will occur with be: engine mounts, control (even with the passat's ecu and wiring harness), perhaps clearance under the hood and with the radiator, and gear ratio.

Does anyone out there, whether you've completed the conversion or not, know if any of these things are blocks to the conversion?

I was assuming that the clearance should work, given that this engine is used in Golfs which have less room up in the engine compartment. Gear ratios, I was hoping going to oversized tires would compensate. And I would expect control to be a hassle but be doable with the whole of the passat sitting here for the taking.

Thoughts, other problems I've not thought of, etc.

TIA

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
i'll be coverting a 99 in a couple months, but i've started with a complete euro spec 99 quattro that I've imported as parts. there are several things that you will have to source or build...
Manifolds, both intake and exhaust
Fuel tank
turbocharger
oil pan
clutch/flywheel
Accessory mounts
The gas transmission ratios will totally suck for the diesel engine
You will also may have problems with the passat ecm interfacing with the A4 cluster.